1. Back up everything you feel is important before you start.
2. Charge your device to 75% or more before you begin to prevent unwanted shutdowns.
3. This method will only work for the versions of Nextbook 8 bought before August 2013. Check the back of the tablet and if the serial number begins with YFG1013, YFG1113 or higher, this procedure is not for you!
II. Necessary Downloads
1. SMT_Next8HD8G_Mod_Recovery.zip [Download link available in this post
2. Kyser_Root-signed.zip [Download link available in this post
III. Rooting the Nextbook 8
1. Extract SMT_Next8HD8G_Mod_Recovery.zip
to a folder on your desktop. You should end up with a file calleduImage_recovery
with no extension.
2. Connect your device to your PC and copy both uImage_recovery
to your device's external SD card (not the internal memory, insert a microSD card if you don't already have one); do not put them into any subfolders just drop them in the main folder of your device's external SD card.
3. Power down your device and reboot to the modified recovery you have just copied. To do this, with the device powered off, press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down buttons with the Power button until you pass the splash screen, a black screen and you see the recovery menu.
4. Use the Volume Up and Down buttons to highlight the 'Flash zip from EXT card
' option and the power button to confirm the selection.
5. Once flashed, go back to the main menu and select 'reboot system
Once the Nextbook 8 reboots, check for the SuperSU app in the app drawer (install it from the Play Store if you don't find it) to verify you are rooted!