in the factory service manual FSM.
and read all the steps
3VZ-FE (and 2vz)
this is your engine. and has many stepskey is timing and proper belt tension and is free running engine.
Prior to timing belt removal, make sure all the match-marks
are there-2VZ-FE and 3VZ-FE engines
the crank mark is CR -line
the cam pulleys, 3v pulley to R-cam mark
and 3v pulley to L-cam mark. (photos are best).
If the timing belt is to be reused, draw a directional arrow on the timing belt in the direction of engine rotation (clockwise) and place matchmarks on the timing belt and crankshaft gear to match the drilled mark on the pulley.
- Remove the timing belt.
- With a 10mm hex wrench, remove the setbolt, plate washer and the No. 1 idler pulley.
- Remove the crankshaft timing pulley, if it can NOT be removed by hand, use two flat bladed tools. Position shop rags on the components to prevent damage.
If the old timing belt is being reinstalled, make sure the directional arrow is facing in the original direction and that the belt and crankshaft gear matchmarks are properly aligned.
- Turn the crankshaft until the key groove in the crankshaft timing pulley is facing upward. Slide the timing pulley on so that the flange side faces inward.
- Apply bolt adhesive to the first few threads of the No. 1 idler pulley setbolt, install the plate washer and pulley and then tighten the bolt to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Install the timing belt on the crankshaft timing, No. 1 idler and water pump pulleys.
- Install the lower (No. 1) timing cover and tighten the bolts.
- Align the crankshaft pulley set key with the key groove on the pulley and slide the pulley on. Tighten the bolt to 181 ft. lbs. (245 Nm).
- Install the No. 2 idler pulley and tighten the bolt to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm). Check that the pulley moves smoothly.
- Slide the left pulley, facing the flange side outward. Align the knock pin hole of the camshaft with the knock pin of the timing pulley, then install the knock pin. Tighten the left camshaft timing pulley bolt to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC again. Turn the right camshaft until the knock pin hole is aligned with the timing mark on the No. 3 belt cover. Turn the left pulley until the marks on the pulley are aligned with the mark on the No. 3 timing cover.
- Check that the mark on the belt matches with the edge of the lower cover. If not, shift it on the crank pulley until it does. Turn the left pulley clockwise a bit and align the mark on the timing belt with the timing mark on the pulley. Slide the belt over the left pulley. Now move the pulley until the marks on it align with the one on the No. 3 cover. There should be tension on the belt between the crankshaft pulley and the left camshaft pulley.
- Align the installation mark on the timing belt with the mark on the right side camshaft pulley. Hang the belt over the pulley with the flange facing inward. Align the timing marks on the right pulley with the one on the No. 3 cover and slide the pulley onto the end of the camshaft. Move the pulley until the camshaft knock pin hole is aligned with the groove in the pulley and then install the knock pin. Tighten the bolt to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Position a plate washer between the timing belt tensioner and the a block and then press in the pushrod until the holes are aligned between it and the housing. Slide a 1.27mm (3VZ-FE 1.5mm) Allen wrench through the hole to keep the push rod set. Install the dust boot and then install the tensioner. Tighten the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm). Don\'t forget to pull out the Allen wrench!
- Turn the crankshaft clockwise two complete revolutions and check that all marks are still in alignment. If they aren\'t, remove the timing belt and start over again.
- Install the right engine mount bracket and tighten it to 30 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Position a new gasket and then install the upper (No. 2) timing cover. refer to the illustration for bolt positioning.
- Install the spark plugs.
- On the 2VZ-FE, install the right engine mount insulator. Tighten the bolt to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm), the bracket nut to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm) and the body nut to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm). Install the No. 1 stay and tighten it to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm). Install the No. 2 stay and tighten the bolt to 48 ft. lbs. (66 Nm) and the nut to 38 ft. lbs. (52 Nm).
- On the 3VZ-FE, install the control rod and tighten the bolts to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm). Install the right stay and tighten it to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Install and adjust the drive belts.
- Install the fender apron seal and the wheel.
- On the 3VZ-FE, install the No. 2 stay and tighten the bolt to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm), the nut to 46 ft. lbs. (62 Nm). Install the No. 3 stay and tighten it to 54 ft. lbs. (73 Nm).
- Install the coolant overflow tank and the washer tank.
- Install the power steering reservoir tank and the cruise control actuator.
- Connect the battery cable, start the car and check for any leaks.