Medical carts are sets of trays and drawers that are on wheels and are available for immediate medical care in case of an emergency in the hospital. The medical cart can also be known as a crash cart. When properly stocked these carts can be the difference between life and death.
From one hospital to another the contents of the medical carts can vary, but for the most part they all have the same contents. These carts most often contain:
- Defibrillator or monitor
- Suction devices
- bag valve masks (BVMs) in various different sizes
- Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) drugs like epinephrine
- Various drugs for common problems
- Drugs for rapid incubation and sedatives
- Various types of medical equipment like gloves, gauze and alcohol swabs
There are a lot more things that a medical cart can include, it is up to the medical facility to decide what will be on them. The main goal of a medical cart is to have as much of the necessary equipment that you will need in the case of an emergency.
To make sure that your cart is always properly stocked it would behoove of you to make a check list and a regular schedule to check and restock the carts. The schedule would depend on how often the carts are used, but generally after use they should be checked and restocked.