Question about Microwave Ovens
Tips for a great answer:
May 08, 2014 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens
Jun 16, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 19, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT
This is a job for a professional but if
you are safety clued up, here's instruction.
Make sure the !!!!any capacitors are discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 or moving coil meter on high resistance range for short circuit, (DVM's won't show the fault!), the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
simple safety test.
Place 1/2 litre of water in a glass container. Measure the temperature of the water.
Place in microwave and heat on full power for 1minute.
Measure the temperature after it has stood for 1minute.
If the temperature difference is more than 9 degrees Celcuis the magnetron is working and producing about 700Watts of heat.
If your microwave is labelled with 900 or 1000Watts. That is about right.
If the temperature is less then the magnetron is not working properly and may need replacing.
This a only a rough guide and any doubts you should consult an authorised service agent.
Mar 01, 2011 | KitchenAid KBHC147H 900 Watts Microwave...
Jan 17, 2010 | Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven
Sep 19, 2008 | Oster 0.7 Cu. Ft. Compact Microwave
Aug 05, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
25 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!