Question about Bushnell Voyager 78-9470 (470 x 60mm) Telescope

Open Question

Bushnell Voyager 78-9470 problem

Email to on 11/21/07

Re: Bushnell Voyager 78-9470 telescope

Noggin, advance, poolseman, or nliwilson,

I have purchased a used 78-9470 telescope and it appears that the rack and pinion focusing mechanism is not working properly. After further inspection it looks as if the black plastic tube (approx 1 1/4" in diameter) that moves in and out of the telescope main tube lost a thin (1/8" wide x approx 5 " long) strip of aluminum-colored metal. This piece of metal, having ridges for the rack and pinion to interact with, seems to adhere to the tube thus permitting the user to adjust the focal length etc.

This seems like a very simple thing to repair but Bushnell refused to ship me this piece and said that i had to send my entire telescope in for repair which could be costly.

Can you tell me where I can order this piece of metal without having to send my entire unit back to the factory?

Finally, the finderscope appears to have broken off from the telescope main tube and the wires have disconnected. It would be very helpful to receive a blown-up schematic diagram of this piece and how it all interconnects etc.

I feel that I could just solder the wires and glue the unit back to the main telescope tube and save much money but I need to make sure that I am connecting it back correctly.

Please help me at your earliest convenience.


(812) 267-7135

Posted by on

4 Suggested Answers

SOURCE: I can't see anything through the Main Telescopic Tube

Did you take the lens cap off?

You have a small 60mm refractor style telescope. Put the eyepiece with the largest number written on it into the telescope. DO NOT USE the 2x barlow which you might have that doubles the magnification of the eyepiece. Your scope is too small to use the barlow. Remember most binoculars are 7x50mm. So your aperture is not much bigger than a pair of binoculars.

Now go outside during the day time and practice focusing on a distant object using the eyepiece with the largest number written on it.

This may also help you:

Posted on Dec 27, 2009

SOURCE: Hi , I have a Bushnell 570 x 60 Rotary Compact

No it's not --- junk it and buy another telescope. This time avoid Bushnell- Tasco, and Edu Science scopes.

Check out the Orion web site here, for a Dobsonian reflector telescope. The most aperture for the least amount of money.

Read my tips on my profile page.

Posted on Feb 06, 2011

Testimonial: "Thanks very much for your advice - much appreciated. Steve"

  • 57 Answers

SOURCE: Bushnell Voyager 78-9675

Please you any hobby shop. All telscope mostly similer.all eyepiese is adjust with any telescope.
Don't worry if you lost finderscope ot finderscope adjustment.This unit is support to find object only.You can find diectly.
Happy sking.

Posted on Jul 12, 2011

SOURCE: I need to replace the Red Dot Finderscope for my

Many on-line retailers sell finderscopes-- here is one--

Posted on Jul 31, 2011

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


1 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer


I can't do much without knowing more details about what you are experiencing, but below is Bushnell's online Instruction Manual for the Voyager 789946 which I assume would be very closely related to your model.

Hope that helps!

Jun 30, 2013 | Bushnell Voyager 78-9945 114mm Refractor...

1 Answer

Bushnell voyager sky tour 700 mm x 3" missing

You can buy Eyepieces and Barlow Lenses

I recommend buy on

Is important for people who share their knowledge, know your comments.
If the answer is helpful, rate my answers

Sep 22, 2011 | Telescopes

1 Answer

I need a manual for a bushnell voyager telescope

All of the Bushnell manuals are located on this web site about 1/2 way down the page. Find your telescope and download a manual.

Sep 23, 2010 | Bushnell Voyager 78-9945 Telescope

1 Answer

Where can i buy new Bushnell Voyager 78-9675 eye pieces and spoter scope

Many on line retailers sell eyepieces. They come in three sizes, .965, 1.25, and 2 inch.

Measure the hole in the focuser. The .965 inch size is harder to find.

Here are two retailers who sell eyepieces:

Sep 14, 2010 | Bushnell Voyager 78-9945 Telescope

1 Answer

How to use the Bushnell Voyager AK 78-9470 Telescope

Bushnell has all of their manuals on this web site:

Join a local astronomy club and the members will help you with your telescope. Read my TIPS on my profile page.

May 22, 2010 | Bushnell Voyager 78-9470 (470 x 60mm)...

2 Answers

Teeth on focus mech. is broken in three places need new one where can i get one

You can buy a new focuser here:

Nov 02, 2009 | Bushnell Voyager 78-9565 (120 x 60mm)...

1 Answer

I need an eye piece for a Bushnell AK-78-9440 Telescope

Eyepieces are either .965 inch or 1.25 inch in size. Measure the hole. You can buy eyepieces from many on line astronomy shops. Here are two:

Oct 09, 2009 | Bushnell Voyager 78-9440 (440 x 12.5mm)...

1 Answer

We have the telescope assembled, but cannot view anything with it

Here is a PDF style free downloadable manual for your device.

If your computer is un able to read this file you will need to google

Foxit v3 Build 1506 Free PDF Viewer

Download from any site that doesn't say WAREZ in title (this is freeware and has no home page)

Mar 22, 2009 | Bushnell Voyager 78-9440 (440 x 12.5mm)...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Bushnell Voyager 78-9470 (470 x 60mm) Telescope Logo

Related Topics:

102 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Bushnell Telescopes Experts

Joe Lalumia aka...
Joe Lalumia aka...

Level 3 Expert

3185 Answers


Level 3 Expert

2963 Answers

Vernon Taylor

Level 3 Expert

1958 Answers

Are you a Bushnell Telescope Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides