My baby q is sick
Since 1995 all regulators (the part that attaches to the gas tank to regulate the flow of gas) have included a safety device that restricts the flow of gas in the event of a gas leak. This safety device can be inadvertently activated in two ways, putting the grill into what is commonly called “bypass”. The first way for the device to be activated is to leave one or more burner control knobs in the “ON” position when the LP cylinder valve is opened. The second is not to wait long enough to “start” the grill after opening the LP cylinder valve. The safety device in the regulator is activated each time that the LP cylinder valve is opened. The device resets itself when the gas pressure equalizes between the closed burner control valve and the regulator, through the hose. If a burner control knob is turned on before the gas pressure can equalize, the device will remain in “bypass”. The length of time necessary to wait to “start” the grill after turning on the LP cylinder valve is dependent on the length of the hose and outside air temperature. It is always good practice to wait a few seconds after opening the LP cylinder valve before turning on the burner control knob to start the grill.
Keep in mind that the safety device reacts to a gas leak. If a grill is in bypass, the gas connections and hose should be tested for leaks with a soap and water solution.
If the grill is in bypass, after checking for gas leaks do the following to get the grill out of bypass:
To reset the gas safety device:
Open the barbecue lid.
1. Close the LP tank valve.
2. Turn your burner control knob to the OFF position.
3. Wait at least 5 minutes if the barbecue had been lit, then
4. Disconnect the hose from the LP tank.
5. Turn your burner control knob to the HIGH position.
6. Wait at least 2 minutes, and then turn the burner control knob to the OFF position.
7. Re-connect the hose to the LP tank.
Re-lighting the barbecue:
1. Open the barbecue lid.
2. SLOWLY open the LP tank valve all the way and wait 1 minute.
3. With the lid open, turn the burner control knob to the HIGH position.
4. Ignite the grill by pushing the crossover ignition button.
5. Close the barbecue lid.
6. The barbecue should reach 500 to 550 degrees in 10-15 minutes.
When you are done grilling:
1. Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
2. Turn off the LP tank valve last.
* Always follow the re-lighting instructions whenever you use the adapter hose and larger tank.
Feb 16, 2008 |
Weber Q Grill