Hobart A-200 mixer gets hot and weak. Motor housing gets too hot to keep your hand on it. Service tech told me the motors usually don't go out. What other problem could it be?
I'd say you're most likely overloading the mixer. This mixer, and others similar in size, are frequently overloaded by people making pizza dough. If you are making dough, keep in mind the A-200's capacity is 9 lb. of 40% A.R. pizza dough, mixed for 5 minutes maximum. If you need to mix longer, the batch must be cut down even smaller, but I don't even know if you're mixing dough.
Try running the mixer unloaded (i.e. nothing in the bowl) for ten minutes or more and see if it gets hot. If it still gets hot, the motor's start circuit (varies depending upon age of the A-200; Hobart used numerous motors in the A-200 over the years, incorporating different starting circuits) most likely has problems. If it doesn't get hot when operating unloaded, then you're probably overheating the mixer by overloading it.
Dec 20, 2010 |
Hobart A200 Stand Mixer