99% of the time, you need a new doorbell button
Also check if any circuit breakers are tripped
Check GFI breakers in baths and kitchenReal-estate lady answer
: buy a new doorbell button and connect 2 wires on back of new button.
Doorbells are low voltage and not dangerous.
If screws are loose in the holes, break off toothpicks in hole so screws have something to bite.
You need small screwdriver:Repairman answer
Doorbell problems have 3 parts
1) The button
2) The chime or bell located in house
3) The 12V or 24V transformer located in attic or basement
4) rarely the wiring because it's low voltage and does not get hot
1) start at the button.
Remove button from wall
There are two LOW-voltage wires on back of button
Remove 1 wire and touch other wire, copper to copper
Does doorbell ring? Do you see a spark?
If bell rings, then button is bad
2) Chime or bell doesn't ring when button wires are crossed
Take cover off chime
The button works, so have helper push button while you're looking at chime
Can you hear any noise? Have helper push button on-and-off
Chimes have 2 or 3 wires >>> 2 wires if only front door has button, 3 wires if back door also has button
Take one wire loose and scratch it across each of the other wires
Remember front button is held down (or front button wires are twisted together)
Can you see a spark when wires are scratched together?
Try this with more than one wire ... but don't mix up location of each wire
If you are getting a spark, then chime is getting power, but it's not working
3) Transformer in attic or basement looks similar to this:
Use a wire and scratch across both screws to see if you get a spark
If you get a spark ... and the crossed wires dont ring the chime... and there is no spark at chime, then there is a bad wire
If no spark at transformer, then check circuit breaker
At last resort, but new transformer at Home depot in the doorbell section near light department