Question about Washing Machines
The lid switch on your washer is located under the washer casing in the back by the left washer lid hinge. It is activated by either a rod from the left hinge, or an activator which closes when the lid pushes on it. If you go to searsparstdirect.com, you can view an image of what I'm talking about. Type in your model number and look under the "Top and Cabinet" parts section for item 11 (part number 8318084). If you click on the enlarged image of item 11, you can get a better close up view.
NOTE: You can also view all the same info at appliancepartspros.com. The price may be a little cheaper.
If you need to remove the washer casing to access the switch, follow these steps:
1. Unplug washing machine.
2. Remove console. This can be accomplished in one of two ways depending on which type of console you have.
a. If the console has removable end caps, the caps lift off by prying on the top from the back of the washer. The cap will pull off towards you as you are facing the unit from the front of the washer. There will be a screw under each end cap that you will need to remove.
b. If the console does not have removable end caps, you will need to slide a putty knife under the front corner of each side and push in while lifting up. There is a retaining clip under each side that has to be released.
3. Once the console has been released it will lift up and fold back over the back of the washer in its resting position. Use care not to stress the small plastic hinges that hold it on. They can break easily.
4. Under the console will be two large brass colored clips. Take a large flat blade screwdriver and place it in the groove of the clip on the washer top. With the screwdriver firmly in the groove, push away from you towards the back of the washer. This will release the clips.
5. Disconnect the lid switch connector plug. This is the white colored plug on the washer top under the console.
6. Remove the washer casing. Open the lid of the washer. Using one hand, grip under the front rim of the washer opening. Do not grab the wash tub, just the casing. Tilt the washer case from the back first towards you, slide forward slightly, and then lift up. The entire case comes off exposing the wash tub and components.
To put the case back on, follow these steps:
1. With the lid of the washer open, place grasp case under front rim and place it on the washer frame. While looking down through the washer lid opening, make sure the front lip of the case is placed UNDER the washer frame and rocked back onto the frame to ensure that the small cleats on the frame fit into the slotted grooves on the washer case base. If you do not get the case seated correctly it will rattle and vibrate while the washer is in operation.
2. Make sure the back of the washer fits into the washer casing on each side by leaning over the front of the washer and grasping the back panel and pull towards you. Reinsert the brass clips by placing the clips into the slot on the back of the washer first, and then forcefully push then down into the opening on top of the washer.
3. REINSTALL LID SWITCH CONNECTOR. It is easy to forget. If you do not reconnect it, the washer will not work correctly.
4. Reinstall console.
If you have any questions, please let me know. I hope this helps you.
Posted on Jul 23, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 21, 2013 | Roper Washing Machines
Jan 26, 2013 | Washing Machines
Jan 13, 2013 | Roper RTW4300SQ Top Load Washer
Nov 28, 2012 | Roper RTW4300SQ Top Load Washer
Mar 31, 2011 | Roper RTW4300SQ Top Load Washer
Jul 24, 2009 | Washing Machines
Apr 24, 2009 | Roper RT21AKXKQ Top Freezer Refrigerator
Feb 22, 2009 | Roper RTW4100SQ Top Load Washer
Mar 05, 2008 | Roper RAB2121KW Top Load Washer
445 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!