Question about SanDisk Sansa E280 MP3 Player
I’ve got a major problem with my Sansa e280R and wondering if someone could please help me. I bought my player in Canada, but am working in Africa for the next year, so I don’t have a way to return it to the store. So I’m willing to try anything…
I switch on the device. After about 5 seconds of the usual “Sansa” start-up screen, I get an error message that says “Load main image failed Switch to recover mode”.
What I tried:
1) I tried starting it in recovery mode and then dragging in (into the 16 MB folder) a copy of the newest firmware, which I downloaded from the Sansa website. After ejecting the device, it says a few things on the device screen, including “Upgrade finished resetting the system”, after which it goes to the back to the main error message “Load main image failed…” I tried this both 5 times.
2) I tried 1) above again, but also simultaneously dragging in a blank Notepad document called “Sansa.fmt”. When I do this it spends a few formatting, and then does the same thing as in 1). I tried all this about 5 times too.
3) I then downloaded the Sandisk Connect Recover Tool from the Sandisk site and tried to run the program. However, the program gives me the message: “ERROR! Application failed to read the version details”.
4) I then cursed repeatedly and then posted this thread…
Thanks very kindly for any help you can provide me. I depend very much on my music here, so any help to get it going again is very appreciated…
Please copy and paste the following links into your web browser address bar, and then click Go or hit your Enter key. When prompted, choose the option to Save the file to your desktop.
1. Double click on My Computer so that you can see it on your screen.
2. Turn the player off.
3. On the top of the player is a Hold switch, move it to the right (toward the headphone jack) so you see the orange colour.
4. On the left hand side of the player is a Record button, press and hold it while connecting the player to the computer. Continue holding the Record button until you see a new icon under "My Computer" called "16MB FORMAT". Once you see that icon you may release the Record button.
5. Double click the RHAPSODY-22.214.171.124 file you downloaded earlier and open it. You will need WinZIP or WINRAR to "unpack" it. Inside you will see a file named PP5022.mi4 drag this file onto the 16MB Format in My Computer mentioned before.
6. Double Click on the Sansa.rar and open it. Drag the Sansa.fmt file into the 16MB Format as well (this forces the device format and erase all data)
6. Disconnect the player and look at the screen. Several things will be displayed, and when you see Key Lock, System Shutdown, move the Hold switch on the top back to the left.
7. Turn the player on and watch the screen. If you see a Refresh Database Fail error, you will need to follow steps 1-7 again until you do not get the error. If it does not work the first time, it could take up to 3 times for it to work.
Please RATE my solution at the bottom.
Best of Luck.
Posted on Nov 20, 2007
I link you posted on rapid share does not exist, is there any alternatives?
Posted on Dec 04, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 26, 2010 | SanDisk Sansa E280 MP3 Player
Dec 17, 2009 | SanDisk Sansa e260 MP3 Player
Sep 25, 2009 | SanDisk Sansa E280 MP3 Player
Apr 19, 2009 | SanDisk Sansa e260 MP3 Player
Mar 14, 2009 | SanDisk Sansa E280 MP3 Player
Nov 12, 2008 | SanDisk Sansa e250 MP3 Player
Aug 05, 2008 | SanDisk Sansa e260 MP3 Player
957 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: