Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Made popping sound and went off. We unplugged it. Replugged it, went on, but didn't cook. Now there's an electrical or plastic burning smell. unplugged it. Is it safe? Worth trying to repair?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Top Expert:

    An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 44,283 Answers

Leave it unplugged
take it in for repair and get a proper diagnosis done
normally anything other than a fuse is not worth repairing

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Testimonial: "Thanks, that's what we figured, just nervous about the smell being a problem behind the wall"

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave does not "heat" and smells when turned on.


calling the company will be the best suggestion because if the smell is like burning plastic, it will be a problem electrically

Mar 21, 2016 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

WHEN I USED MICROWAVE HAD BURNING SMELL & BLACK SOOT APPEARED. STILL HAVE POWER BUT DOESN'T COOK


Just had the same problem. It was an electrical short and the repairman said that it could have burned the kitchen wall and been a catastrophy. Get rid of it immediately!

Mar 02, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My frigadare microwave runs normal but wont heat the food


From the description you have provided, the magnetron has shorted. This a job for a professional because there is lethal voltages present that will kill.

Mar 27, 2012 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

MIcrowave emits an electrical smell while cooking. It still cooks, but has started emitting an odor recently when in use.


Is the smell ionized (the outside smell of a cold winter morning air) or more of an electronic component burning??? if it's more of an ionized smell it could be normal, (if the smell is strong) it could be a leaking high voltage cable (electric arching) bad insulator, if it's more of an electronic component burning smell, it could be a overheating component, in both cases you should have it checked by a professional technician...

Cheers!

Jun 25, 2011 | Sharp KB-6024MS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts...

1 Answer

Panasonic NN-T785SF microwave smoking and popping


Not to worry ,Please use a good torch light or lamp to look inside the microwave cabin. On the side where the magnetron is fixed look for any food particles which could have stuck while heating. Use a good cleaning solvent to do this job. You must remove all the roller and plates and clean dry. Once you have done this open the top cabinet with the mains wires disconnected. Look inside the side panels for dirt, insect which have got entangled and cooked. use a good brush and blower to clean dry. If the main capacitor has leaked replace with a similar type. Get help if you are not able to do this as it is a dangeorus section with high voltage. You will get to the smelling part once you had inspected these areas. Replace the part in question, can be even the surge protector at the mains end. Hope this helps. Good day

Jul 19, 2010 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Heard a pop and then an electrical smell. Unit is working but a faint electrical smell occurs each time unit used. Should I continue using it? It is built in with a trim kit.


No that is a very dangerous situation. What is sounds like is you had a short that blew apart but not completely damaging the wires. You should unplug, and open it if its out of warranty and inspect the wires. If the wires are partially burned it can heat up and cause an electrical fire.

May 19, 2010 | Panasonic NN-S541 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

We have white


there is a component called a spatter gard inside the oven at the point where the microwaves enter......if food or other foreign substance gets stuck there, then it will start to burn ...the smell and popping noise is coming from the spatter gard.....to fix it you must remove the spatter gard..replace it if it's burnt and /or sand paper the spot clean and then paint the area with a high temperature paint called mr. touch up......to protect the bare metal from the microwaves.....hope that helps

Nov 27, 2009 | Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sparks pops odd burned smell


I would certainly take it to a repair shop if you want to try and salvage it. Until then keep it off and unplugged.

Feb 14, 2009 | Frigidaire PLMV168 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Is the microwave possibly dangerous after it popped & now smells


Hello jeffnlaur,
The sound you heard could be any number of things but I would attempt to verify the basic preformance of the microwave was ok by placing a cup of water in the cooking compartment and switching the micro on for about 2 minutes.. The water should be close to or at a boil after this time ( depending on glass type and power output of oven). Listen for any other irregular sounds while it is running. You may have heard something in the soup pop or some of the electronics within the micro arc but it may not mean it is dangerous. Try the water test first and if it continues to exibit internal noises and burning a burning smell, I would discrad the oven. Table top models are very inexpensive and the cost to diagnose and repair would probably exceed the cost to replace,
In terms of dangerous, there are safety devices to cut off power to the magnetron and other components if warranted. Not sure that helps you but with limited info from your side, diagnostics are 'iffy' at best..
Regards
Rick

Jan 09, 2009 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

29 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

76630 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...