Dryer not working at all? Usually this is due to a thermal fuse being blown. To check for a blownthermal fuse:
1. MOST IMPORTANT, unplug dryer.
2. If this is an oldermodel, pry up front of top cover of dryer using a flat head screwdriver. Cover should be hinged on back side of dryer.
3. Lift up coverand look towards back of dryer near heating element (coils). 4. Youshould find a small metal part mounted near the heater
and about the size of a bottle cap with two wires plugged into it.
5.Take a multimeter and set it to read continuity (the horseshoe symbol).It should read "ovrflo". Test the meter by touching the meter probetips together - the reading should change to zero or close to zero. If so, the meter is reading correctly. Many meters will also beep.
6. Take the multimeter test probes (2) and touch one probe to each plug on theback of the fuse at the same time - make sure to touch the bare metalplugs where the wires are attached.
7. If the meter reading changes tozero again, the fuse is good and this is not the problem. If not, thefuse is blown and probably is the problem.
8. If the fuse is blown,unplug the wires from the fuse and remove the fuse - may need a flathead screw driver and needle nose pliers to help remove the fuse.
9.Again, repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify if the fuse is blown. The metershould read about 0 if the fuse is good, if it still reads "ovrflo"then it needs to be replaced.
10. Get on the internet and do a searchwith the brand and model number / serial number of your dryer to getthe thermal fuse part number.
11. Do another search for appliance
parts stores in your area and start calling to see who has the part.Could also give band / model number to parts store to see if they havethe part.
12. Go get and install the new fuse. Make sure to mount thefuse just as the original was mounted and remember to reconnect thewires to the fuse.
13. Push down the dryer top cover, should pop inplace.
14. BEFORE YOU RESTART THE DRYER, CHECK THE EXHAUST DUCTS AND EXHAUST HOSE FROM YOUR DRYER ALL THE WAY TO WHERE IT EXHAUSTS OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE. THERE IS LIKELY A BLOCKAGE OF LINT SOMEWHERE IN THE LINE.THIS IS WHY YOUR DRYER OVERHEATED AND YOUR THERMAL FUSE BLEW IN THE FIRST PLACE. IF YOU DON'T SEE A BLOCKAGE, AND YOU HAVE AN ELECTRIC LEAF BLOWER, HOOK IT UP WHERE THE DRYER CONNECTS TO THE EXHAUST HOSE AND THOROUGHLY BLOW OUT THE EXHAUST LINE TO OUTSIDE THE HOUSE.
15. Once satisfied the exhaust is clear, plug the dryer back in and start it up.