HP Color LaserJet 2600n Printer - Installing Print Cartridges
When a print cartridge approaches the end of useful life, the control panel displays a message
recommending that to order a replacement. The printer can continue to print using the current print
cartridge until the control panel displays a message instructing to replace the cartridge.
The printer uses four colors and has a different print cartridge for each color: black (K), cyan (C),
magenta (M), and yellow (Y).
Replace a print cartridge when the printer control panel displays one of the following messages:
Replace yellow cartridge, Replace magenta cartridge, Replace cyan cartridge, Replace black
The control panel display also indicates the color that should be replaced (unless a
genuine HP cartridge is not currently installed).
Change the print cartridge
- Turn off the printer.
- Open the front door.
Do not place anything on the transfer belt (ETB), which is located on the
inside of the front door.
- Remove the used print cartridge from the printer.
- Remove the new print cartridge from the bag. Place the used print cartridge in the bag for
- Grasp both sides of the print cartridge by the blue handles and distribute the toner by gently
rocking the print cartridge from front to back.
Do not touch the shutter or the surface of the roller.
- Remove the orange shipping locks and the orange shipping tape from the new print cartridge.
Discard the shipping tape and shipping locks according to local regulations.
- Align the print cartridge with the tracks inside the printer, and using the handles, insert the print
cartridge until it is firmly seated.
- Firmly close the front door.
- Turn on the printer. After a short time, the control panel should display Ready.
If a cartridge is in the wrong slot or is the wrong type for the printer, the control
panel will display one of the following messages: Incorrect yellow, Incorrect magenta,
Incorrect cyan, Incorrect black.
- Installation is complete. Place the used print cartridge in the box in which the new cartridge
arrived. See the enclosed recycling guide for recycling instructions.
- If a non-HP print cartridge is in the printer, check the printer control panel for further instructions.
When replacing or changing a black print cartridge, a cleaning page will
automatically print. This helps prevent speckles on the front or back of printed documents.
A cleaning page can also be generated using the control panel or the HP Toolbox.