Question about Microwave Ovens
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
This is not safe. If the fan is not running, the magnetron will quickly overheat and be destroyed. We answered this in more depth in the other place you asked it.
Posted on Feb 25, 2007
SOURCE: Microwave buzzing
It's likely a bad magnetron or maybe the high-voltage transformer. If it's within the warranty period of the magnetron (5 years or less), I would call Sears. In my professional opinion, no one should work on a microwave unless they are fully informed and aware of the deadly hazards and necessary precautions. If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number (without the suffix) here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
Posted on Mar 23, 2007
The noise is coming from the high-voltage transformer being overloaded
by something shorting it out. Either the magnatron or the
high-voltage capacitor and diode. Replace the capacitor and
diode then if still not working, replace the magnatron. Its only
affordable if you do it yourself - buy the part on EBAY - lookup
Hope ya fix it!
Posted on Jan 06, 2008
The symptoms you are describing are typical of a magnetron that has gone bad. Continuing to attempt to use the oven in its current condition can cause further damage. So, I would recommend not using it. Microwave ovens are considered dangerous and repairs should not be attempted by anyone that is not electronic saavy. The High Voltage Network inside the oven has voltage potentials of 14,000 volts and higher. If you feel this is something you wish to attempt, the Magnetron part number is 1156751 and costs approx. $158. Keep in mind, if the magnetron has been arcing and making a burning smell you may have burned the protective coating that lines the walls of the waveguide. If the waveguide is damaged it is not repairable. I do not know if this is a replaceable item on your model microwave. Double check your warranty information and/or owner's manual. In many cases the magnetron is warranted for several years beyond the limited warranty that comes with most appliances. Post back with comments and let me know if you want me to assist you further. In addition, if you provide me with your EXACT model number (located along the door opening) I can narrow down parts a little better. I know this all sounds discouraging, but I do hope I have been able to help you.
Posted on Jan 15, 2008
SOURCE: Microwave does not heat/cook
power spikes are very damaging to a microwaves internal parts, it sounds like your transformer and/or magnetron are blown. if the unit is out of warranty I would recommend calling a repairman or getting a new microwave (the transformer & magnetron are expensive and dangerous to work on) also get a small single plug surge protector for the new one.
Posted on Mar 23, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 03, 2016 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
Apr 21, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 08, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens
Mar 08, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Feb 12, 2011 | GE JVM1870 Microwave Oven
Jan 02, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jul 01, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 20, 2007 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven
Feb 24, 2007 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven
33 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!