Question about Whirlpool LER5636P Electric Dryer
I was drying a load of clothes and my laundry room filled with smoke and it smells like burning rubber. I am assuming that it must be the belt but I have no idea how to get to it. I removed the back of the dryer but I can't seem to find it. Can someone help?
Your assumptions are probably correct. If the model number is correct, the belt tends to wrap around the motor shaft when it breaks on this model dryer. That may be the source of the burning rubber smell and the smoke.
In order to access the belt follow these steps:
1. UNPLUG the dryer.
2. Lift the top panel by removing the two screws under the lint screen door on the top panel. With the screws removed, the panel will lift up.
3. Disconnect the door switch connector. This should be a white plastic connector plug with two to three wires on it.
4. Remove the front panel by removing the panel screw that is located on each side inside the cabinet. With each screw removed, the front panel will lift up and out of the way.
You should now have full access to the drum interior.
If the belt broke, the idler pulley will come loose and will usually be found lying on the cabinet bottom. This is normal with no tension on the pulley to hold it in place. To re-install, follow these steps:
1. Loop the drive belt around the dryer drum with the groove side facing the drum. (Try to line the belt up with the wear marks already on the drum from the previous belt).
2. With the tensioner in your left hand, insert the clip end of the idler pulley into the grooves on the dryer bottom casing with the idler wheel pointing to your left. (The grooves are directly in front of the drive motor.)
3. While holding the tensioner in place, insert the belt UNDER the wheel with your right hand and pull it up and over the drive motor pulley.
If this does not explain it well enough, you can also verify by going to repairclinic.com. Click on the Repair Help link and look for the "Dryer Belt Diagrams" link under the Special Features section on the next page. Look for Whirlpool and refer to diagram H. When reinstalling the front cabinet, make sure you insert the small cleats that are on the front edge of each side panel into the slots on the front panel. Hold the panel in place with your knee as you reinsert the screws that hold it in place on each side. Don't forget to reconnect the door switch! If you still have questions, please let me know. I hope this helps you.
Posted on Jul 21, 2009
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 09, 2012 | Washing Machines
Oct 31, 2012 | Kenmore Front-Load Washing Machine 3.5...
Mar 17, 2010 | Maytag Neptune MDE5500AY Electric Dryer
May 08, 2009 | Maytag Neptune MDE5500AY Electric Dryer
Jan 28, 2009 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Dec 01, 2008 | LG DLG5932W Gas Dryer
Jul 02, 2008 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Jan 16, 2008 | Amana NDE2335AY Electric Dryer
177 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: