Question about Kitchen Ranges
The burners work but the oven doesn''t come on
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: GE JES1290,
Not sure about an F14 error, but an F4 error is a shorted (or even just greasy) temperature sensor (thermistor). That could cause trouble with the convection and fan, etc. like you describe.
It looks like the thermistor on this model comes as part of the heater or one of the covers, etc.
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can find a very good exploded view of it at:
You can find parts here: http://www.geappliances.com/shop/prts/
Posted on Nov 18, 2007
HOW MICROWAVES WORK Microwave ovens are complex and sophisticated, but they operate on a very simple premise. They warm foods and liquids using microwave-frequency sound, rather than a gas burner or an electric heating element. How microwave energy is produced Why some foods cook better than others Safe, quick, and inexpensive How microwave energy is produced Your microwave oven has a small transmitting antenna, much like a radio station or TV station might use. The microwave oven converts the electricity from the house into an extremely high voltage, which feeds the "magnetron, " which converts the high voltage into radio waves. The radio waves funnel into the cooking area of the oven, which makes the molecules in the food or liquid resonate (vibrate) wildly?which causes friction between the vibrating molecules?which generates the heat for cooking. Why some foods cook better than others Whether a food type is suitable for cooking in a microwave oven has a lot to do with the structure of the food--or the lack of it: Consider bread. It has an internal structure of air pockets. When the microwave gets all of the molecules in the structure vibrating at microwave frequency, the structures break down and the bread becomes tough and inedible if cooked too long. Now consider water. It has no structure. When the microwave frequency gets the water molecules vibrating, they rub against each other creating friction--then heat. Because they have no fragile structures to break down, foods with high water content tend to heat nicely in the microwave--including vegetables, soups, and so on. Safe, quick, and inexpensive Because microwave ovens use radio waves, rather than radiant heat, to heat food, they are considered to be quite safe. Also, they don't introduce anything unnatural into the food, and they are more energy efficient than standard resistance cooking devices. Q - My microwave seems to shut off every once in a while, what might be wrong? A - Make sure you hear the fan is still operating in your microwave. Next is to make sure the air intake grill on your microwave is not plugged up with air borne dust and dirt. Use an old tooth brush to help clean off the grille area. Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food? A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section. Q - My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything. A - Many thing can do this but, common things are....loose high voltage wire.....poor solder joint on board.....magnetron.....power relay..... Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on, but nothing is heating and the fan is not running. A - This most commonly is a bad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power module, but a bad door switch is most common. Q - My microwave went dead when I opened the door ( same problem as closed the door ). A - This often is a stuck or faulty door switch and it has blown the interior microwave fuse. Q - My microwave is completely dead. A - House fuse has blown or interior fuse inside the microwave has blown ( usually a part inside the microwave makes this fuse blow ) Sometimes a bad fuse holder inside the microwave cannot hold the fuse tight enough and the fuse will blow as well. Q - The fan in my microwave oven is not running will this hurt my microwave? A - YES, the fan cools the magnetron and electronics, take the microwave in for service, most fans are not too expensive to replace. Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button. A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor...see components section. A copy and tip from Prashanth: Description of problem (Maytag CMV1100Q) : Microwave stopped working while cooking. Replaced a 20AMP fuse. When the cook cycle starts, microwave makes a groaning noise and stops. It loses power since the fuse is blown. Solution: High-voltage capacitor shorted. Replaced it and microwave works fine. Its located behind the fan underneath the high-voltage transformer. Remove the vent fan hood Remove the display control panel by removing the screw Take pictures of all the connections behind the control panel. Unhook all connections Remove the connections to fan Remove the fan Remove the screws and connections for interlocking switches. Make sure the high voltage capacitor is discharged! Remove the high voltage capacitor and replace Retrace the steps and put everything back. Microwave works great now. Q - I burnt something in my microwave and now it is dead...help! A - The fuse inside the microwave may have blown, but more commonly the flame/oven thermostat has sensed the over cooked food and the flame/oven/cavity thermostat has opened up - Info on that click on the link below for which u have the doubt http://www.applianceaid.com/micro.html
Posted on Sep 22, 2008
SOURCE: F14 error message
First change the fuse. Then if it still isn't functioning properly, you may have to replace the lamp, in which case you should contact a specialist. Details can be found in the Instructions Manual.
and enter EB270 and click the Go button.
Then download the PDF file of the manual in English (EN)
Hope this helps :)
ps Someone else on Fixya claims to have fixed the F14 problem by changing the PCB Board, whatever that is.. but there was no further rating or feedback given. That's all I have.. Good Luck!
Posted on Jan 11, 2009
Most likely a hot-surface ignitor has failed. If it doesn't consume enough current, the gas valve won't open. It's usually a fairly easy fix, once you gain access to the ignitor and have a new one to replace it with. Make sure you unplug the range...
Posted on Apr 25, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 05, 2014 | GE Stove/Oven/RanSurface Burner Knob -...
Dec 24, 2013 | Kenmore 30" Electric Double Oven...
Aug 11, 2011 | Whirlpool RBD305PD Electric Double Oven
Dec 07, 2010 | GE Profile JGSP48 Gas Kitchen Range
Apr 25, 2010 | General Electric Stove/Oven/Range Chrome...
Mar 20, 2010 | Whirlpool 30" Self-Cleaning Freestanding...
Nov 20, 2009 | Cooktops
38 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!