Machine not start
1) Determine that there is spark?
2) Have you used a type of spark tester?
3) What is the condition of the plug. Brown or dark brown is OK. Black or silver is NOT Ok.
*If you do not have a spark tester,
a) remove the plug, and with it connected to the wire,
b) find a portion of metal around the cylinder that you can ground it on, and then pull the rope.
c) If the plug is black, you may see spark, but you should replace the plug.
*** PLEASE NOTE ; if there is excess fuel in the cylinder or on spark plug,
it can catch fire, so be carefull to cover the hole with a heavy rag so that any fuel
cannot be exposed to spark plug durning test !!!!
Fuel Starvation - Float Bowl Carburetor
1) remove air filter assembly
*be cautious of tearing the mounting gasket. If it does tear, you HAVE to replace it. It is part of the priming system
2) remove the float bowl fastener. This is the main jet
3) carefully remove the float bowl, the rubber o-ring/gasket will not be able to be used if it is removed, you WILL have to replace it
4) using a spray 'carb cleaner'
spray up thru the center of the carburetor
spray and clean the main jet with cleaner and 'tag' wire
(tag wire is very thin, and can be used to clean the hole in the center of the main jet)
5) clean any debris from inside the bowl or carb body
6) re-install bowl and center bolt, air filter assembly
*if you need gaskets, your Briggs dealer can supply. The kit is cheaper than individual gaskets, and all the parts needed to finish the above repair are in the kit.
Fuel starvation - 'lean fuel' condition
Basic things to check:
1) spark plug
2) spark arrestor in muffler
3) fuel lines and tank filter
4) turn adjustment needles out (counterclockwise) 1/4 to 1/2 turn
5) check impulse tube and intake boot for cracks or leaks
*if all of the above are OK and/or do not improve performance then:
6) replace gaskets/diaphragms
a) use a spray carb cleaner to clean jets, holes, and body of carb
b) fuel pump diaphragm goes against the carb body,
then the gasket towards the outside
c) metering gasket goes against the carb body,
and the diaphragm goes towards the outside
Nov 20, 2009 |
Yard Machines Garden