Question about HP scanjet 3970 digital flatbed scanner
HP Scan Jet 3970 Scanner / Windows XP Problems?
I own an HP Pavilion, zd7000 laptop computer (purchased in 2003) with an HP, Scan Jet 3970 Scanner made in 2003). I installed the scanner operating software from the original software disk in December of 2006 (HP Photo Imaging software Version 2.1 for Windows). The scanner worked fine for several months even though when “Scan” was selected a dialog box would appear asking which scanner I wanted to use (Umax or the HP scanner). The Umax scanner had been “un-installed” prior to the HP scanner software being installed. The HP scanner quite functioning, seemingly after receiving some “XP updates”. The scanner failure mode is as follows: When I double click the “HP Photo & Imaging” icon on the desk top, the scanner control screen opens for use. When the scan button is selected, a small dialog box appears on the screen stating “Searching for Umax Scanner”. After ~15 seconds, a “Umax Scanner Test Program” dialog box appears. I select “exit”. This is repeated one more time, then the search stops. This is repeated anytime a scan is requested.
From January 9-18, 2007 I went through an extensive email discussion with an HP Scan Jet service tech, which entailed:
· Deleting some HP files and uninstalling HP programs files and downloading/installing new Scan Jet software files from HP (more than once).
· Asking questions about, if Internet Explorer 7 was installed on my computer, etc.
None of these steps yielded any improvement.
I still want to use my scanner and am still looking for some good help to make the scanner function again. Recently I did a search using Windows Explorer for “Umax*” on my “C drive”. It returned a list of 25 files left over from the Umax scanner [no. files, location, type]: (2, C:/i386 IN File), (1, C:/WINDOWS, Configuration Settings), (2, C:/i386/COMPDATA, 1 “HTML” & 1- “Test” documents), (8, C:/i386/DRIVER.CAB, 1-system file, 7- Application Extension), (1, C:/VISTASCAN/HELP/vs30. Graphic Interchange Format Image), (8, C:/WINDOWS/Driver Cacha/i386/driver.cab, 1-system file, 7- Application Extension), and (3, shortcut type files).
· Shouldn’t these files have been deleted when the “Umax” program was uninstalled? Should these files be deleted, and how can I delete them safely?
· Looking at the file dates, it seems to me most of the 2001/02 files would have came from the original installation software even though I installed it on this computer in Jan. of 2004. I’m a little surprised there weren’t some 2004 files that would have come from update files that I purchased to allow the Umax scanner to have some functionality with Windows, XP.
· The 2007 “umaxdrv” file in “C:/WINDOWS” seems to be the most troubling since it says it is a “Configuration Settings” type of file.
· When I look in my “Control Panel, Scanners & Cameras” there is no HP scanner listed. Only the installation wizard to add new devices.
· Is there a setup area, within the HP software to configure the software to use the HP 3970 scanner when the scan command is selected?
The 10 character serial number and the product number are located (on my 3970) on a sticker on the inside of the cover.
You can verify that you have the correct numbers if you enter them at
That will tell you if they are the wrong numbers as well as the warranty status of your scanner.
Posted on Jan 24, 2009
SOURCE: fuse for hp 3970
After you have UnScrewed and Opened Up the Scanner.
On the Circuit Board (Green Board with Electronic Components) just where you Plug in the Power Pin there is a Small Glass Tube Looking Component.
You need to replace that with a 1.2mA Fuse.
Hope this Helps
Posted on Jul 18, 2009
It is a know issue with IE 7.0 Ver, please try the steps in the link bellow:
Posted on Sep 12, 2008
SOURCE: HP Scanjet 3970 has no power
What is the temperature at the plug/transformer? If it is cool to the touch after being in the live outlet for a while, that is the source of your problem and it needs to be replaced. You will need to match the plug size and shape as well the voltage for an AC/DC transformer. The voltage is usually on the transformer but can be hard to read (highlight it by rubbing chalk over the lettering if the letters are molded into the case).
I hope this helps.
(I do not know if HP sells replacement transformers; Radio Shack often has suitable ones but you do need to match the details.)
Posted on Feb 12, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 26, 2010 | HP ScanJet 3970 Flatbed Scanner
Nov 16, 2009 | HP ScanJet 3970 Flatbed Scanner
Nov 16, 2009 | HP ScanJet 3970 Flatbed Scanner
Oct 31, 2009 | HP ScanJet 3970 Flatbed Scanner
Sep 19, 2009 | HP ScanJet 3970 Flatbed Scanner
Jul 03, 2009 | HP ScanJet 3970 Flatbed Scanner
Mar 20, 2009 | HP scanjet 3970 digital flatbed scanner
Dec 06, 2008 | HP scanjet 3970 digital flatbed scanner
Aug 22, 2008 | HP ScanJet 3970 Flatbed Scanner
Sep 29, 2007 | HP ScanJet 3970 Flatbed Scanner
Mar 23, 2013 | HP scanjet 3970 digital flatbed scanner
911 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: