Question about GE Microwave Ovens
We have to hit the outside (top side of door) of our G.E. over-the-counter microwave to get it to begin heating after starting a timed cooking cycle. Then after about 5 minutes, it stops heating in the middle of the cook cycle (cycle is set greater than 5 minutes). Could this be a bad magnetron (intermittent operation), or a loose connection inside in the power wiring? Also, the microwave will not heat after that until at least an hour later, which appears to indicate something has become heat sensitive. You have to hit it again after this wait time to get it to heat after initiating a new cook cycle.
is usually caused by either a bad door switch or a loose door switch
mount, which are pretty simple problems to fix.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.
If a switch is all you need, we offer a universal type for only $5 postpaid which you can order here.
Even though a door switch clicks, it may still be bad inside.
Door switch or mount trouble is usually caused by slamming the door or by opening the door while it's cooking without hitting the Stop pad first.
There are plastic mounts inside the microwave which hold the door switches and onto which the door latches lock when you close the door.
The screws on these mounts may be loose. If they get too loose, the switches will not be activated properly.
Sometimes it's a broken tab on the switch holder, allowing the switch to rotate just out of position. This tab can be hard to see, since it is under the bottom edge of the switch.
If the switch mount is broken, it's usually more economical and safer to add a dab or two of hot glue to the mount to secure the switch. Let it cool for about 30 minutes before using.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jul 20, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 31, 2012 | GE Microwave Ovens
Oct 03, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Oct 03, 2011 | Whirlpool MH1150XM Convection/Microwave...
Sep 18, 2011 | KitchenAid Microwave Ovens
Sep 30, 2010 | Panasonic NN-T695SF Microwave Oven
Mar 21, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens
Aug 16, 2009 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven
Mar 14, 2009 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven
Feb 23, 2009 | Danby DMW1153 Microwave Oven
Aug 17, 2008 | Frigidaire FMV156DC Microwave Oven
47 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!