Question about Sears Craftsman LiftMaster Chamberlain Garage Door Opener Wireless Keypad Model 976LM Security+
The only way to program Homelink without a garage door opener remote is if you have a keypad that allows access to your garage. I tried EVERYTHING and then realized I had the keypad which is wireless; I simply unscrewed the battery operated keypad from its location and held it 1"-3" from the Homelink buttons in my car. I then punched in my code and held the enter button on the keypad at the same time as the Homelink button I wished to program. It worked flawlessly. Good Luck!!!!
Posted on May 14, 2010
I can find no way to program homelink without a remote.
Posted on Jul 17, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Your keypad is not the same "generation" as your remotes. You operator will work with your security plus remotes or your old keypad but not both. Yor cheapest solution is to replace your keypad.
Posted on Feb 07, 2009
You must have an older vehicle or the homelink has reverted to an earlier technology and you will have exactly the situation you describe. You will just have to use the remotes that came with the opener.
Posted on Nov 11, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
The instructions in the owner's manual are correct, but after following them, my garage door installer and I discovered a few quirks and fixes for them.
It is important to park the Touareg in front of the garage door. Be careful not to park underneath it.
If your remote garage door transmitters are already programmed to your door opener, you need to do the following steps:
1. On the garage door opener itself, there is a learn button. Press and hold down the learn button until the learn indicator light goes out (approx. 6 seconds). (The learn button is near the antenna on your door opener.) By doing this, you have just reset the codes. At this point your remote door transmitters will most likely not work. This is o.k.
2. In the Touareg, press and hold whichever homelink button you want to program until the light above the homelink buttons slowly blinks. Continue to hold the button in and at the same time, hold your remote transmitter underneath the map lights and press the button. Continue to press both buttons until the homelink light rapidly flashes. Let go of both buttons.
3. You now have 30 seconds to press the learn button on your garage door opener. Press it once. The light will start to blink.
4. Go back to the Touareg, press and hold the homelink button you just programmed for 3 seconds until you get a blinking light. Repeat again. This time, it should open or close the door. The homelink button is now programmed.
5. Now that the homelink button is programmed, you now have to re-program your remote transmitters. Take the transmitters with you.
6. On the garage door opener, press the learn button, the light will blink. Now press the button on the remote transmitter. The light should stop blinking. Repeat the step if you have more than one transmitter. You should be all set. The homelink button should work in the Touareg and your remote transmitter(s) should also work.
In summary, the rolling codes in the door opener receiver have to be reset. For some reason, the Touareg has to be programmed FIRST. Then the remote transmitter units. If the remote transmitter units are already programmed, you will most likely not be able to program the homelink in the Touareg for a rolling code door opener.
Mar 14, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 10, 2010 | 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan
Jan 05, 2010 | 2006 Honda Odyssey
Nov 11, 2009 | Sears Craftsman LiftMaster Chamberlain...
Sep 09, 2009 | 2001 BMW 325
Jul 02, 2009 | Sears Craftsman LiftMaster Chamberlain...
Mar 07, 2009 | 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
Feb 02, 2009 | 2005 Infiniti FX35
Jan 29, 2009 | Sears Craftsman LiftMaster Chamberlain...
Oct 11, 2008 | 2003 Acura MDX
Apr 18, 2016 | Sears Craftsman LiftMaster Chamberlain...
3,617 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!