When I put a DVD into the console, it won't read the DVD at all. When I go to the Browser screen and insert the disc, it will say "reading disc" for about 5 seconds and then stop reading the disc. I used to have a problem on my old PS2 where it would come up with a "Disc Read Error" message, but this one doesn't seem to do that. It just stops reading the disc altogether. This only happens when I try to play DVDs.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
if the disk is a Blueback, most modern PS2 consoles won't touch it. bluebacked disks still have their data stored in CD format rather than in a Data DVD
to play a Blueback 1. turn on the unit without a disk in 2. press Triangle on "browser" 3. scroll up to the top item and press triangle again 4. turn "Diagnostic Mode" ON 5. back out with circle, and start the browser 6. put your disk in with the browser on. is should read the disk
some disks will still cause the red screen (like cheat devices) occasionally
1. DVD has lots of scratches 2. Regional Settings 3. Incorrect DVD settings for PS2 4. No/Incorrect Disc
1. Clean your discs well and avoid incurring scratches. Place it in its box after use. 2. DVDs have encoding. They are encoded by regions. Thus, you cannot play region 2 DVDs on a US Playstation mainly because the US Playstation 2 can only read DVD that are encoded in Region 1 or those DVDs that are encoded for all regions. Again, US PS2 are region 1 capable. Japanese PS2s are Region 2 Capable. 3. There are a number of settings for the DVD playback of your PS2. First is the rating of the DVD. If you want to watch a rated R movie, make sure your PS2 allows viewing of R movies. You'll be setting this during the first time that you'll be watching a DVD. It's just the same as real theaters. It is also protected with password so you need the person who set it up the first time in order to bypass the rating settings.
4. Put in a DVD first and make sure that it is a Movie. And, check #2.
hEy i hAd the sAme pRob...............dOn wOrRy all u hAv to do is to turn on uR pS2 witthout puttin a DVD oR aNy diSc........on mEnu screen gOto [options] by pRessing 'triangle' button......... a new screen will appear select by pressing 'X' [DISC SPEED]....n sEt it to fAst.....then insert the DVD movie........tURn off PS2....press n hold the reset button till the blue light is turned on......release the button and press it again.............. it wOuld take a little tYm foR uR DVD movie to be loAded........be patient till the movie plays it self..............
Confirm the disc is inserted
correctly into the PlayStation 2 console (label side should be facing
up when the PlayStation 2 console is in the horizontal position).
the disc is clean. To clean a disc, use lint-free cleaning cloths made
specifically for cleaning CD/DVD discs, sold at computer software
stores. When cleaning the disc, we recommend starting from the
innermost circle, and wiping out to the edge in a straight line. We do
not recommend wiping in a circular motion, as it may create more
scratches on the disc. [Note: Other materials, such as a paper towel
or a T-shirt, may also scratch the disc. If there are any scratches,
smudges, or fingerprints on the disc, it may not function properly.]
Try playing different CDs, DVDs, and games on the PlayStation 2 console to see if the problem exists across multiple discs.
To determine if the problem is with the disc itself, try playing the disc on a different PlayStation 2 console (or a PS oneTM or a standalone CD/DVD player, if applicable).
that you are not using any game modification devices. Unlicensed
devices such as game modification devices can interfere with the proper
function of the software. We do not recommend the use of any game
modification devices or unlicensed products.
1) Turn on machine
2) Open Tray
3) With tray still open hold the reset until the tray closes.
4) Tap the reset once.
if there is a format disc error, it says "Please insert a Playstation
or Playstation 2 format disc." It is accompanied by a sound similar to
the browser, but with a more tense noise. This is caused by a disc
being so badly scratched that it completely fails to recognise the
format, or if there is a problem with the laser.
Auto-Diagnosis (PlayStation 2 system)1. Turn on the system without a disc inside.2. Once at the Main Menu, press the triangle button to enter the Version Information Screen.3. Highlight the "Console" option, and then press the triangle button again.4. Next, press the X button, highlight "On", and then press the X button once more.5. Now press the circle button twice to return to the Main Menu.6. Press the eject button on the front of the console, and insert a disc.7. Now close the disc tray, but DO NOT reset the system.8. Highlight the Browser option from the Main Menu, and then press the X button.9.
In the Browser, an icon of the disc should appear on the screen.
Highlight this icon, and then press the X button to read the disc.10. If the auto-diagnosis is successful, the disc should load properly at this point.NOTE: The auto-diagnosis feature will return to "Off" the next time a disc is inserted.