Question about HP Computers & Internet
This is an HP desktop that has been very reliable for the last couple of years since its last upgrade. All of a sudden, all the USB ports don't recognize any memory sticks or external hard drive, but they work fine on other desktops and laptops. Also, other non-memory type of units I plug into this HP desktop work fine, its just memory type of units that don't work.
If your using a usb hub or similiar, try connecting directly to the front or the back of your machine.
Do you have another USB cable to try or is the usb connector directly on the USB device?
Try these steps to reinitialize your usb ports on your pc
1. Unplug ALL USB devices connected to the computer. If you are using a USB mouse and keyboard, temporarily use the older type PS/2 devices if you have them, if you don't then just leave them connected.
2. Hold down the windows key and press r
3. Type devmgmt.msc into the run menu and press ok
4. Click on the + sign next to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers
5. You might need another mouse to do this if you have a usb mouse.. I recommend you get a ps2 connector mouse which goes into the green round connector in the back of your pc.
6. Right click and uninstall first the usb root hubs. all of them then uninstall the rest of the devices you see under Universal serial bus controllers
7. Ones you have uninstalled everything you should see the Universal serial bus controllers there at all.
8. Now go ahead and restart your pc.
9. Ones you have restarted the pc your usb ports will reinstall in a moment stand by while it installs all of them. If you get warning messages click ok or continue installation.
10. Now go ahead and plug the usb devices back in. Install software if required, all usb devices if not faulty or broken should work now. Also note the error code if you get one?
This solution doesn't fix all usb problems so if you have a yellow ! mark there and device status reports a error code. Then it might not be a problem with your usb ports.
Posted on Jul 13, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 14, 2017 | HP Computers & Internet
Aug 04, 2015 | HP OFFICEJET PRO 6830 E-ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER
Mar 26, 2013 | Sony VAIO Computers & Internet
Jun 28, 2010 | Iomega 34512 eGo USB 20 500GB Portable...
Jan 16, 2010 | HP Compaq Presario S5200NX (DM173A#ABA) PC...
Sep 07, 2009 | Electronics - Others
Aug 28, 2009 | Dell Computers & Internet
Feb 09, 2009 | Western Digital 250GB MyBook External USB...
Jun 26, 2008 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
Jan 13, 2008 | Western Digital 320GB MyBook External USB...
Mar 24, 2016 | HP Computers & Internet
32 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!