You should need to unlock your phone and install some specific software to modify your phone
there is some programs and special firmwares to reflash your cell phone, but the procedure is very dangerous, do it at your own risk...
1. Download the SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) program from the main SE page. (Navigate to your phone model and download "Update Service" program at the download section.
2. After downloading the SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service. I will write only SEUS in the rows below) you need to make your computer ready for the update process by installing USB flash drivers for your phone. These USB drivers are not the sandard ones and it's installation is a bit different comparing to the standard ones. So to install USB flash drivers (I hope you're using Windows XP) the procedure is the folowing:
- Turn off the phone;
- Remove the battery;
- Remove the Sim card;
- Place the battery in the phone again;
- While your phone is turned off connect it to your computer via the USB cable holding the C button on the phone pressed down all the time. (Tips: "Do not release the C button until you're prompted to do it" , "REMOVE the SIM card from the phone before starting the update process" , " Keep your phone turned off when connecting it to the computer holding the C button pressed down")
- Your computer will recognize the phone now as new hardware (USB Flash Device) and then you will need to install the USB Flash Drivers for your phone. Follow the Windows new hardware wizard. It will prompt you to insert the CD for your new hardware. The flash USB drivers are in the PC Suite CD you got when you bought the phone.
- After the Drivers setup is finished successfully, plug out the phone from the cable and restart your computer. Restarting is recommended, so do not try to start the update procedure without restart.
3. The next thing you have to do is to install the SEUS program you downloaded from the main SE website (the link above). It's setup is easy and it will install in a couple of minutes. After SEUS program is installed, restart the computer again.
4. Now you can start the update process for your phone. If everything is OK it should be like this:
- First I would like to recommend you to not start the update process if you have very slow or unstable internet connection, because the new software for the phone is downloded directly from the Internet and it does not have to be interrupted with anything;
- Quit your all running programs (This is recommended if you have antivirus or firewall software which blocks the network activity of untrusted applications. If you have one like this, give the SEUS program unlimited permision to access the web anytime it needs. Or the best, turn off that software.);
- Start the SEUS program you installed;
- Then you need to follow the instructions from the wizard;
- When asked, turn off the phone;
- Remove the SIM card'
- Connect it to the computer holding the C button (Tip: Release the C button only when you are prompted to do that. Releasing the C button earlier than it need to be will interrupt the update process so you can kill your phone. Some computers won't prompt for release the C button so you can release it when the updating procedure is started.);
- Then you will see an animated picture of some gray phone connected to computer via the USB cable. In this step you can release the C button and wait while the wizard is downloading the new software for your phone and installing it. You can see the status of the flashing procedure in the screen on that gray phone on the picture. Its display will start to fill with green from the bottom to the top of the screen;
- When done the updating procedure, click the update process you will be prompted to plug out your phone from the computer and close the wizard. With that, the update procedure is successfully completed;
5. Now you'll need to see the success of your work by Turning the phone on, but when you finish the update procedure do not remove the battery to insert the SIM card. Try to turn the phone on when you plug it off the computer. Keep the power on button pressed down for some time. It won't turn on fast as usual. If it does not turn on, remove the battery then. Insert the SIM card. Let the battery out for 2-3 minutes and try turning it on again. If the update procedure is made as it needs to be, the phone will surely turn on (but not fast as usual, but it is only for the first time.).