Printer smears l h side of envelope Not in printed area
The problem you are experiencing is caused by the way the text is formatted in most word processing documents. By default envelopes are printed not in black, but a dark gray. This confuses the printer and causes it to use the color cartridge to process gray instead of using the black cartridge. You can fix this problem with one of 2 ways.
Please select the "Black" only option following the steps given below:
1. Click on "Start," "Control Panel" and click on "Printers and Faxes."
2. Right click on the "Lexmark printer icon" and select "Properties."
3. Select "Printing Preferences," click on the "Quality/Copies" tab and choose "Print Color images in Black and White."
4. Select "OK."
You can also change the color of your text to a true black in your word processor. This will require you to resort to the word processor's documentation and help files.
Both of these settings will cause your printer to use the black cartridge instead of the color. If either one of these solutions solves your problem, it means your color cartridge needs to be cleaned or replaced. If you feel that the color cartridge should not be out of ink please try the following:
1. Go to the "Lexmark solution center." This can be done by clicking on "Start," go to "Programs" and Lexmark printer group. Click on the "Lexmark Solution center." Next click on the "Maintenance" Tab.
2. Select "Clean and Fix Horizontal streaks." This will produce a printed page.
The colors that you should see here are black, yellow, magenta (a reddish purple) and cyan (a dark sky blue). You should notice the diagonal lines above and below the solid horizontal lines. These diagonal lines should be solid from left to right with no gaps.
If there are gaps in the lines or the print diminishes across the page, you should run the "Clean Print Nozzle" page a couple more times to try and clear it up. If you still have gaps at the top and bottom, you should "wick" the cartridges by following the steps given below:
1. Please open the "Solution center" again and go to the "Maintenance" Tab.
2. Select "Install color/black cartridge" and remove the cartridge or cartridges from the printer.
3. Get a damp paper towel.
4. Set the ink cartridge right side up on the damp paper towel so that the ink nozzles are against the towel and hold the cartridge in this position for about 15 seconds.
5. Now wipe the print head (on the bottom where the ink comes out) across in one direction only (left to right) until it looks clean.
6. Next dab the cartridge on the towel to make sure that the ink is flowing.
7. Snap the cartridges back into the printer.
8. On your computer, select "Old Cartridge install."
9. Repeat the "Clean Nozzle Page" one more time. If this fails to address the problem the entire procedure may need repeating.
Aug 20, 2009 |
Printers & Copiers