Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
We have a GE spacemaker microwave that is 3 years old. When we try to cook something it shuts off after a couple seconds.
first thing I would suggest is a hard reset. Unplug the unit for a
minute or so. Then plug it back in, set the clock and try again. If that doesn't work,
leave it unplugged for about 5 minutes.
Otherwise, I would suspect a "noisy" failing magnetron.
NOISY MAGNETRON TEST (c) 2009 William E. Miller email@example.com
One way to test it is to do the following:
1. Unplug the microwave or turn off its breaker.
2. Open the door, then detach the control panel as shown in the video at http://www.microwavedisplay.com and swing it down, but without disconnecting the wires. If you have any trouble getting the grille off once the screws are removed, slide the hood vent grille to the left about 1/4", then then pull it forward. On some models there are L-shaped clips that fit into a slot to hold bottom of the vent.
3. Plug the microwave back in.
4. Make sure neither you nor anyone else reaches in behind the control panel. There will exposed high-voltage connections.
5. Put a few cups worth of water in a microwave-safe container and place it inside the microwave.
6. Shut the door.
7. Run the microwave for about 1 minute or so on full power. (Time Cook > 1 > 0 > 0 > Start, e.g.)
8. If it does not fail, try it several more times.
9. When the water boils, change the water and try again.
NOTE: If your model does not have a door handle, you will need to unplug the oven and reattach the control panel to be able to open the door.
If it still does not fail, I would recommend that you put it all back together and keep using it until it fails more consistently, then repeat this test.
While a microwave should never be left running unattended under any circumstances (as your owner's manual will tell you) it's even more important when one is exhibiting a failure or any odd behavior. So play it safe and stay with it while it's running!
If you or someone you know want to replace the magnetron yourself, you will need to remove the oven from the wall.
If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.
If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.
Sometimes they will send you the magnetron to do it yourself. Call them at 888-239-6832.
Be persistent. You may have to speak with a supervisor.
If it is not within the magnetron warranty, you can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jul 13, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 14, 2018 | GE Profile Spacemaker XL 1800 36"...
May 27, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Apr 01, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 29, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 28, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Oct 19, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jun 25, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Nov 27, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Sep 22, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
941 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: