Question about Archos AV 500 Digital Media Player
i have an Archos player - av 500 - which till now worked great, yesterday after connecting it to an apple computer (only for downloading from it..)
i've tried to open and got the msg' : "hard drive error - hard drive not recognized" since then it doesn't show any thing else on the screen but this msg' n freeze... im really lost - hope for a solution that doesn't involve formatting - if its a must i'd like to know how to format as well.
thanx in advance
SOURCE: Format Hard Drive Error
If the unit detects any form of Hard Drive Error it asks you to format the drive. Connect the unit to your PC and run ScanDisk or DOS Chkdsk on the drive. Will help to rectify any issues with the FAT. Windows XP & 2000 Running Check Disk Utility (ChkDsk) ? HARD DRIVE mode only If you still have problems with the file system on your AV 500 you can try to fix it using the DOS utility, check disk (chkdsk). Do the following; ? Make sure external AC adapter is powering the AV 500. ? Quit all running applications. ? Properly connect the AV 500 to your computer ? Wait patiently (up to 5 minutes) for Windows XP to show the local drive as mounted. ? Open a DOS window. Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. ? At the prompt, type chkdsk e: /f . Use e: or f: or whatever drive letter is representing your AV 500. The /f argument tells the program to automatically fix errors. ? Be patient, this may take a while. ? When finished, exit the DOS Window and properly disconnect the AV 500 from your computer. Now try using the device. DO NOT try to defrag the drive. Let us know how you get on.
Posted on Jul 26, 2007
Well.. I had the same problem and did a lot of "trial and error' techniquies. I tried to format using the DOS utility which didnt work. So I waited until windows recognised it as a storage device (not Archos Gmini) and tried copying some files from the PC to Gmini (which will not get copied over). Then disconnect and switch off the Archos Gmini. Now power on the Archos Gmini and it will start off on Arclibray updates and the system will start off normally and home screen appears. Now get into Archos GMini setup and format it. Format will be successful and the next time you start up gmini, it will work fine. Lemme know if the solution worked for you.
Posted on Sep 11, 2008
SOURCE: Archos AV500 / USB harddive
the only thing that is keeping the drive from showing up is the format, the archos can only read fat32 external hard disks, so format the drive fat32 and you can use it
Posted on Oct 09, 2008
1. Copy all factory installed files from the Archos on to your PC hard drive or write a CD / DVD.
2. Download the latest software from www.Archos.com and keep a copy safe (not on the Archos!) â€¦ there was a new version last week by the way â€¦1.5.12
3. If you record any films, music, or TV that you want to keep forever then donâ€™t keep them on the Archos!
4. Factory installed samples (photos & films), wallpaper, etc are available for download from FTP://support.archos.com
5. If you need to format the drive but it wonâ€™t talk to the PC through the normal USB, try plugging a flash memory card (the bigger the better) into the other (left hand) USB socket and copy stuff onto it.
6. Avoid changing back & forward between â€˜hard driveâ€™ and â€˜windows deviceâ€™ â€¦ not sure if this was the cause of the problem but you never know!
7.Always have mains power (not battery) when moving files around.
Posted on Nov 16, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 06, 2010 | Archos AV 500 Digital Media Player
Oct 13, 2009 | Archos AV 500 Digital Media Player
Nov 05, 2008 | Archos AV 500 Digital Media Player
Jun 06, 2008 | Archos 604 WiFi Digital Media Player
Jul 26, 2007 | Archos AV 500 Digital Media Player
Jul 05, 2012 | Archos AV 500 Digital Media Player
142 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: