Hold the power switch for 20 seconds.
Slide the power switch and hold it in place for 20 to 30 seconds before releasing it.
Give the Kindle time to reboot.
- You need to physically hold the power switch in its off position for this long. Doing so tells your device to "reboot," in essence, instead of merely shutting down.
- The reboot screen should appear as soon as you release the power switch.
The Kindle will reboot within a minute or two. Be patient and give your device ample time to finish its reset.
Charge the Kindle.
- There is some possibility that the Kindle will freeze as it reboots. This may be the case if your Kindle stays frozen on the reboot screen for more than ten minutes.
If the device freezes during the reboot or does not respond to the reset at all, plug the charger in and allow your Kindle to charge for 30 minutes or more.
Hold the power switch down again.
- Make sure that your Kindle has enough time to complete a full charge.
After you finish charging the Kindle, slide the power switch and hold it down for another 20 seconds.
- The reboot screen should appear again. Give the device a minute or two to reboot before checking it again. This should complete the reset.