REMOVAL FROM CEILING
In general, the steps are:
1. Turn off power at the breaker -- not just the light switch.
(There are still "hot" wires in the junction box when "Off".)
2. Take out any light bulbs.
3. Remove any light globes. Some screw in, but most are held by springs so just pull gently with a bit of force.
4. Remove fan blades. Most have a spring at the inside edge of the blade -- press down on the spring and push the blade toward the fan motor.
5. Remove the ceiling mount cover. There is usually a circular ring up next to the ceiling; just twist it off with your hands ("lefty - loosy, righty-tighty").
6. Unscrew the ceiling mount screws. Usually there is one or two in a "simple" hole, and two one "sliding" slots. Take out the "simple" screws, and loosen (but don't remove) the "sliding" screws. Be careful not to drop screws or washers into the fan motor.
7. Twist off the ceiling mount cover to expose the wiring.
8. Disconnect all wires. For safety, put a wire nut on the wires from the ceiling.
9. Tip the fan and remove it from the ceiling mount. Keep in mind that the fan is pretty heavy, and you're on a ladder!
NOTE: Be careful not to put any pressure on any of the blade holders, especially if you intend to re-use the fan. If you do, the blades will wobble.
10. If you're installing a new fan, you can probably re-use the mount. If you want to put up a simple light fixture, remove the mount by unscrewing the two long screws holding it to the junction box.
Jul 17, 2010 |
Hampton Bay AC414-LRU 52'' Kemper...