Question about Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 (U01E200) 200 GB Hard Drive
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Find your MAXTOR model and you can download guides (basically, the manual and it will show you step by step instructions).
Posted on Nov 12, 2007
SOURCE: Installing Maxtor onto mac osx
I found the solution here:
but short version of it all:
Basically you just need to format the drive to get it working. Open up disk utility. Selecting the maxtor drive on the left in disk utility. Then select the erase tab. Then change MS-DOS (FAT) to Mac OS Extended. Finish by clicking erase.
Mine didn't work at first even though I plugged it in but after I did that it worked. Hope you can get yours working too!
Posted on Dec 29, 2008
Message 23 of 61
Viewed 3,676 times
My Maxtor 3200 died also. I took the following steps to get it running again.
(1) Remove plastic box from around unit. Carefully stick a screwdrive in the case division and pry it apart. It is not easy, but do will finally come apart.
(2) inside you will find a perforated metal box. There are two screw on each side of the box. Remove and separate the two halves.
(3) there you will discover that inside is just an ordinary Maxtor hard drive like you would buy in the electronics store. Attached to the HD is a PC board. There are 3 screws holding the PC board down. Remove the screws and carefully remove the HD and PC board.
(4) unplug the powere plug and the IDE interface from the HD. Now you have a HD that you can install in your own case (as long as you have a desktop unit and not a laptop).
(5) I installed the HD in an empty slot, connected the IDE cable that was already there (between the CD and IDE interface), plugged in the power plug, fired 'er up, and voila, works like a champ.
I suspect that the problem is in the interface (PC board), since the only thing I did was remove that from the equation. Hope this helps
09-09-2008 09:36 AM
Posted on Feb 14, 2009
I had a similar issue with my Maxtor Basics portable 500GB drive. I hadn't formatted mine yet, but had heard there were issues, so decided to find out before I start. I even saw your post here looking for an answer. Finally, one of my friends told me the following solution, which worked fine for me:
Don't format the drive as any of the Mac OS Extended options, simply reformat it as MS-DOS (it should be one of the options in Disk Utilities when you choose Erase and go to the Volume Format dropdown list).
Your Mac should be able to recognise and use the drive in this format and it works for PCs. Transferring files between the two shouldn't be a problem.
A thing to note, though, is that these Maxtor drives apparently come ready-formatted as MS-DOS (mine did). But while my Mac recognised the drive, I couldn't copy files on to it. If this happens, erase this MS-DOS formatting with... MS-DOS. Don't ask me why this works, I'm not a Mac Genius, but now my Maxtor is trouble-free and can transfer files from PC to Mac and back again.
Hope this works out for ya!
Posted on Jul 15, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
You'll find the iPhoto Library at:
"username" will be your name that appears when you login to the computer.
Feb 12, 2014 | Apple MacBook Pro Laptop Computer with...
Feb 12, 2014 | Apple MacBook 13"White /2.0Ghz Intel Core2...
Feb 16, 2010 | Maxtor OneTouch II 300 GB Hard Drive
Nov 07, 2009 | Maxtor OneTouch A01B080 80 GB Hard Drive
Aug 05, 2009 | Seagate Maxtor 750GB One Touch 4 Plus...
Jul 22, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Apr 28, 2009 | Maxtor OneTouch III Mini Edition 120GB...
Mar 04, 2009 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus 750GB External USB...
Dec 18, 2008 | Maxtor OneTouch USB (A01B120) 120 GB Hard...
Nov 14, 2007 | Maxtor OneTouch III Mini Edition 120GB...
81 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!