Question about Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Tying into existing groundless knob and tube to run a couple fixtures and one outlet. Grounds?

Hey, Just moved into a new apartment. Bathroom is being remodeled. Old knob and tube into a metal box feeding two switches independently ran from the box. Running one feed from the box to a plastic box in wall pigtailed to a GFIC and a switch that then runs its switch leg to a ceiling fixture. One more feed to a separate wall switch running a light over the medicine cabinet. I would love to just be able to re do all the way to the box and run a good ground so that all was known to be good but that is not an option. What would be best practice for the ground wires? Thanks much for the help!

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 13 Answers

Being as it is in the bathroom, there should be a cold-water metal pipe near. Attach a green conductor using an approved ground clamp. Run the wire to the outlet you want to ground. Attach to the box (if metal) then attach to the receptacle. If you can't get a ground installed as described, you could protect all the items (ceiling light and light over the sink) with the GFCI. All you need to do is feed the two items from the load side of the GFCI instead of the line side. This provides "people" protection as the GFCI function does not require a ground to detect the imbalance between the "hot" and the "neutral". This does not provide "equipment" protection.

Posted on Apr 29, 2015


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

How do you clean rust from chrome light fixture

Clean with CLR then seal with car wax.

Mar 29, 2012 | Home

1 Answer

Can't get the Moen Eva towel ring fixture to release so I can move it.

check underneath for a small setscrew. back this out and it should be removable

Jul 07, 2011 | Moen YB2818 Eva Towel Bar Bathroom...

1 Answer

How do you take the light fixture apart to fix the balace?

You may find that a new fixture is the easier and cheaper way to go as some ballast can be expensive and hard to find the matching style. A similar style fixture at Home Depot or Lowes cost, in a 2 pack about $18.00. Add a CF bulb to it for another $4.00 and you have a decorative similar fixture. Some ballast cost anywhere from $9.00-$50.00. If you wish to replace the ballast: (turn off the power) remove the globe, remove the existing florescent bulb, take the fixture off the ceiling (usually two screws) remove the wire nuts, make a small diagram of the existing wires and the color codes, take the ballast to the Home Depot or Lowes first, match the ballast. Now reverse the process to replace the fixture. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Oct 31, 2010 | Universal Lighting and Decor White...

1 Answer

I would like to add a outlet to an existing outlet

You will need to wire the outlet, and then run a jumper from the white to the white on switch 1 and 2.
you will need to wire the end switch and middle swtiches normally with the ground and black wires.
the white wire jumpers will run from outlet (GFI if in a bathroom), to middle switch hot, to end switch hot.

Apr 27, 2010 | Hammering

2 Answers

I want to install a GFI outlet in a bathroom that only has a outlet in the light fixture? How do I run a wire from the switch which has 2 switches, one for the fan and one for the light above the med...

Make sure you turn off the power at the power panel.
If you are lucky you will find the following in the electrical box behind the light:
  1. A black wire that brings power from the fuse/breaker panel--connected directly to one or two other (black) wires (not to the light).
  2. A white wire from the panel--connected to one or more white wires including one to the light.
  3. A black or white (maybe taped black) wire that comes from the switch and is connected to the light.
  4. A green or bare wire connected to the box and maybe also to the light.
If this is the case then you can run a new cable to a new electrical box in the wall for the GFI. Connect the new black wire to the Line In terminal/black wire of the GFI outlet and to the group of black wires in (1) above. Connect the new white wire to the Neutral terminal/white wire of the GFI outlet and to the group of white wires in (2) above. Connect the new green/bare wire to the Ground terminal/green wire of the GFI outlet and to the original box or ground wire. If there is a Load/Feed through wire on the GFI outlet, tape the end of it and do not use.
If the black and white wires described in (1) and (2) above do not appear in the electrical box at the light then they are probably in the switch box and there will be only one black wire and one white wire that connect to the light on the wall. In that case you will need to run a new cable from the switch box to the new outlet. You will not be able to wire the new outlet from the existing electrical box at the light unless you do it through the switch and it will not be on unless the switch is on.

Aug 28, 2009 | 3M GFI Software GFI MailEssentials For...

1 Answer

We are only getting hot water out of one bathroom shoulder handle and cold water only out of the same fixture in another bathroom. I recall taking apart one of these shower handles in the past and...

Okay, that's what I thought. Rmove the handle (may be a set screw to loosen), remove the nut holding in the stem (or maybe the stem screws out), remove the cartridge. If it's not clogged it probably needs replacing.

Oh, yes, first turn off water to fixture...

May 04, 2009 | Home

2 Answers

I was changing a light fixture in my bathroom,

hello, all you have to do is to get a new breaker with the same amperage or amp's example 15 amp's of the breaker that's blown and pop out the old one and put in your new one , in the future when working with electricity always manual trip the breaker before working for your safety and the safety of the equipment .good luck

Mar 22, 2009 | Your One Source Homeline Circuit Breaker

Not finding what you are looking for?
Electrical Supplies Logo

Related Topics:

462 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Electrical Supplies Experts


Level 3 Expert

3287 Answers

Gene Haynes

Level 3 Expert

5089 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

15644 Answers

Are you an Electrical Supply Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides