No power to unit, but powers on okay in house with AC power adapter
So obviously it's the cigarette lighter adapter cable. But the cable has not been abused at all. The green light on the cigarette lighter adapter cable indicates that it is plugged in. Could it be a fuse if this light is on? The unit stopped working while plugged into my husband's old work vehicle. Ironically, when he plugged his iPod into the cigarette lighter, a fuse blew in that cable. And, we borrowed a Garmin GPS this weekend and plugged it into this same vehicle, and it worked fine for a while. But then it stopped working. It ran off of battery power for a while, so I know it must be either the cradle or the cigarette lighter adapter cradle. But I need to find out quick! So is it possible that the fuse is blown and that green light is still on? And on my Magellan, I thought it was the cradle, because when it first started acting up, it would turn off, but then I would play with it a little bit, and it would turn back on. Now it won't turn on at all. That doesn't sound like a fuse, does it?
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It's not a good idea to run anything that needs a lot of wattage through a power converter using a 12v cigarette lighter plug. Coffee makers work by using a resistant heater element and it might work, but you could damage the coffee maker or the adapter by doing so.
Here are a few tests you can do. Bear in mind if the unit has not been charged for some time and the internal battery is completely flat, you will need to leave the unit on charge for some time even to get a charge light from the LED. Leave it on charge for at least 2 hours.
First, check the LED is lit when the cable is plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket and/or mains charger? If it is not, the fuse in the cigarette lighter adapter may be faulty or the charger may not be working.
If the fthe LED is lit, then is power available at the end of the cable that connects to your unit? Use your DC voltmeter to check this. If no power is available here, then your cable/charger is faulty - obtain a new one.
If there is power at the connector, then the unit may be faulty.
Recharging the battery is done by connecting the nuvi to a vehicle power cable in the car through the vehicle power accessory outlet or cigarette lighter. The unit can also be charged via a powered USB port off your computer via the USB power/data cable or an AC power adapter through the USB power/data cable.
There are 2 common problems for this, 1 is the power connecting wire to the lighter housing falls off, or if the wire is connected and has power, the lighter unit itself has an internal open circuit and needs to be replaced.
You checked the fuse that is contained inside the cigarette lighter adapter, correct?
If that fuse is blown, get a new one at your local electronics store.
You should also verify that the power from the cigarette lighter adapter is on. You can do that by testing it with the actual lighter, or you can use a voltmeter or test light to determine if power is reaching the lighter outlet.
There are adapters to a car lighter for all kinds of AC plugs but not usually very strong. Laser printers can take alot of power. How many WATTS does the powers cord say? Here is one that does a 160 continuous and 300 peak. Check the amps too before you buy, but there are a multitude of these they are called DC to AC converters.
Hello kdiltzbook, Most GPS units can be charged three different ways: 1. Connection to a computer via USB port 2. Connection to a automobile via cigarette lighter plug 3. Connection to a wall outlet via an AC adapter Typically most GPS devices these days include only the USB cord. Some GPS units also include the cigarette lighter plug. For most GPS units the cigarette lighter plug and AC adapter are optional accessories have to be purchased in addition to the GPS. You don't mention which model of Magellan GPS you have so I am not sure which cords your GPS should have included. It sounds like you have the cigarette lighter cord and the USB cord? I am sure that Magellan has an AC adapter available for your GPS. You will want to contact them directly (their website is http://www.magellangps.com) or visit an electronics store that sells Magellan GPS receivers (such as Best Buy™) to purchase the adapter. However, most GPS receivers can be charged from the USB programming cord on the computer. However, ensure you are plugging the cord directly into a USB 2.0 on the computer itself NOT a port on a USB hub.(A USB hub may not output enough power to actually power and charge the GPS.) You will also want to check and replace the fuse on the automobile plug. I believe that both the USB and automobile cords should be charging the GPS. If neither adapter is charging the unit then the problem may be the GPS unit itself.The GPS may have a bad battery or problem with its charge circuitry.If that’s the case the unit may require factory service as the battery pack is generally not considered to be end user replaceable.
I have a 100v A/C power / charger unit for my garmin C340 GPS that I use to charge my Garmin's battery every day. I can use thj adapter to run the GPS, or just turn it off and let it charge the GPS. But it connects dirctly to the Garmin GPS unit, not to the cradle like the Cigarrette lighter unit does. .
Buy an adapter such as the one in this link to convert AC power to a 12V "cigarette Lighter" outlet. http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Adapter/dp/B000EG8RIM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1207184215&sr=8-5