Question about GE JES738 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave causes all appliances to shut off

Whenever I try to use the Microwave with my tv and computer and miscellaneous other electrical appliances on, it turns off ALL the power in my apartment including: TV, lights, computer, router. Then I have to wait a few minutes, then go to the electrical panel and play with the switches a bit until power returns.

I have the 700w GE microwave. I recently purchased it to replace another brand new 1000w microwave to try and solve my problem, but both microwaves do it. So I do not think it is the microwave. I was thinking about getting a surge protector to try and solve this. Would it help?

Please help. It is extremely annoying to turn off the other things when I merely want to heat up my dinner.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 290 Answers
Re: Microwave causes all appliances to shut off

A surge protector will not help. The circuit that you have the microwave plugged too is overloaded or the breaker is weak.
You need to find out which breakers in your switch box operate which outlets. Then you may be able to move some of the appliances to different recepticles that are on different circuits.

Turn the lights on in all the rooms.
Got to your switch box and turn off one of the single switches(not the ones that are two switches hooked together).
Then go to each room and check to see which lights have went out. Take a lamp or small appliance to each wall plug-in and see if it has power.
When you find out everything that switch controls, write it on a piece of paper so you will know in the future what that circuit has on it.
Turn that switch back on and repeat the process with the next switch and so on and so forth until you have written down what each breaker controls.
Now you will have some idea which circuits have the most load and which ones you can move something to.
You also need to call your landlord or building super to check to make sure the breakers in the switch box are in good condition.
Hope this helps.

Posted on Nov 12, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave won't heat, timer goes off after 1 minute or so

Microwaves are a quick, convenient solution to the hassle of preparing and cooking hot dinners. They are popular appliances with students and large families where food often needs to be prepared fast. Microwaves use radio wave technology harnessed through an antenna, known as a "magnetron," to create friction between food or liquid molecules, causing them to heat up. Some microwaves can cease to function properly, resulting in the appliance running but failing to produce any heat.

  1. Magnetron
    • Magnetron tubes are often the source of heating problems in microwaves. Before having any repair work done, check the warranty on your microwave. Many companies offer 10-year warranties on magnetron tubes so you may be able to get it repaired professionally for free. Otherwise, unplug the microwave then remove the rear casing with a screwdriver. Locate the tube inside the microwave and check it for burn marks. A burnt tube cannot usually be repaired and will require replacement. A tube that doesn't appear burnt should be tested by a qualified technician to see if it can be repaired.
    High Voltage Capacitor
    • A microwave capacitor holds electricity as the appliance is running. A malfunctioning capacitor can lead to the microwave not heating, along with an irritating buzzing sound. Test the capacitor by first disconnecting the power then removing the wires attached to the capacitor. A capacitor with burn marks is usually damaged beyond repair and will require replacement. A capacitor can be tested by connecting each of the probes of an ohmmeter to the capacitor terminal. Each probe should provide a reading of infinity if the capacitor is working properly.
    Power Diode
    • The diode in a microwave oven is a one-way pathway that channels electricity from the capacitor. A malfunctioning diode can sometimes be the cause of a microwave that won't heat. The heating problem is often accompanied by a loud buzzing noise. You can test the diode by first unplugging the microwave oven, disconnecting the diode from the capacitor then measuring the level of electricity inside the diode with an ohmmeter. The ohmmeter can determine whether the electricity in the diode is flowing in one direction as it should. In most cases, the magnetron tube will have to replaced as well if the diode is damaged.
    • Disconnecting the plug from your microwave to carry out an inspection does not guarantee safety. Even an unplugged microwave still has electricity running through its components, which can lead to severe electric shocks. Unless you have previous experience in dealing with electrical appliances, it is advisable to hire a technician to test component parts rather than undertake the job yourself. Anyone without a basic knowledge of electrical currents and safety should avoid testing components altogether.

Oct 03, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave ovens does not work, ooven is plugged up and electrical power is check at the receptacle. No power .

Dead appliance, power on wall outlet.


Attempt this only if you are competent.

If your appliance has absolutely no functions at all, remove it from the mains supply, remove the case and see where the mains lead goes in to the appliance and follow the cable until you find the main fuse.
The usual cause of this fuse failure is the door switches are contaminated or sticking. Check the door switches before putting power back on to the appliance.
Hope this helps.

Mar 22, 2011 | Amana ALD10D Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The fan on my emerson microwave model#mwg9115sl stopped working and now it shuts off by itself is there a way to fix it or someone who i can take it to?

The fan primary function is to keep the magnetron cool while it runs, if the fan stops the thermal fuse senses an increase in temparture causing the oven to shut down. I suggest a tv technician or appliance repair man because there is dangerous high voltage present that can cause serious injury or death.

Jan 15, 2011 | Emerson Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have an OTR MVP III unit which is about 20 years old. The electricity was shut down in my apartment and has been powered back on. How do I power up the microwave unit?

Hopefully there should be bo problems all you must do is switch it on.
I hate to think that something awfull could have happened to it.
Just in case have a read of my notes on dead machines.

If your appliance has absolutely no functions at all, remove it from the mains supply, remove the case and see where the mains lead goes in to the appliance and follow the cable until you find the main fuse.
The usual cause of this fuse failure is the door switches are contaminated or sticking. Check the door switches before putting power back on to the appliance.
Hope this helps.

Dec 31, 2010 | Magic Chef Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave power turns off after a few sec running incl oven power

I would suggest having whoever installed the new appliances come back and check out his work. There might be a poorly made electrical connection somewhere, and you might have a potential fire hazard.

You might also have gotten a lemon microwave oven. This happens sometimes. (Usually when I buy something.) Contact the store where you purchased it and ask if they have a service person who can check it, or just tell them what's happening and you want a replacement. They'll just return yours to the manufacturer.

In any case, have this checked out to be sure your wiring isn't at fault.

Mar 08, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have a microwave with a blown fuse. ive been to maplin but they dont stock that particular fuse. an electrical repair shop assistant told me the megatron whatever that was could be the cause and its...

You could try CPC components ( they stock microwave fuses. The shop assistant is correct, if it is the Magnatron then this is a costly repair & not economical. However depending on which fuse has blown, there could be a problem with one of the door switches or other causes. BE WARNED... Microwave ovens can be very dangerous appliances to work on if you are not fully electrically experienced & if you do obtain a fuse, be careful when replacing it.

Jul 21, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Blowing 25 amp fuses

In that case the outlet your using is pushing out too much electricity. Try calling your local electric company for help or a professional electric repair man.

May 21, 2009 | Emerson Black Microwave Oven

1 Answer

No Power

It sounds like the fuse blew inside the unit. It can be replaced, but you need to find out what caused it. There are also thermal switches that will turn off the unit if it overheats. They are called "snap discs" because they have only one setting and will shut the unit down to protect it.

If you aren't familiar with this kind of work, do not attempt repairs. Take it to an appliance shop. It could be anything and a competent appliance shop will tell you if it's worth fixing.

Mar 22, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JES738 Microwave Oven Logo

66 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8803 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides