From the Taylor Site http://www.taylorusa.com/faq-scales
Here are the basic ERR messages and their meanings:
I got an ERR2 message and now the scale doesn’t work. What should I do?
- Error 0: Initialization
- Error 1: Instability (scale is on an uneven surface ex: carpet)
- Error 2: Unit may have been jarred or unit was overloaded (customer went over the maximum weight capacity)
- Error 3: Contact error (Feet were not wet for Body fat reading, feet aren’t big enough to reach sensors)
- Error 4: Body fat is out of range
- Error 5: Water is out of range
The following reset procedure is used when the scale shows an err2, err, 0.0, inaccurate weight, or some other unusual error.
- Remove the battery from the scale.
- Sit the scale on a hard surface floor.
- Step up onto the scale, stand still for about 5 seconds and step off the scale.
- Re-install your battery.
- Place the scale back on a hard surface floor.
- With one foot only, place just enough weight on the scale for the display shows zero’s or dashes. Once you see zeros or dashes remove your foot.
- Wait for the scale to turn off again.
- Step up onto the scale for a weight.
If the reset is successful, you should receive a weight right away. If you continue to receive one of the error messages above please call our Customer Service department or contact us
via email. You can also try the reset procedure a 2nd time. Sometimes the reset procedure will work the second time.