I can't download anything
1. You need to connect to the Internet. The easist way to do this is find an open wireless connection, like at a cafe or at someone's home whom you know.
2. Once you know you're in range of a connection, click on the Portal or the Web icon on the display.
3. When you click on the Web icon, you may be asked to buy the Opera browser to surf the internet. I never was able to buy the browser using my 605, even after registering it online. I used my PC to buy the plug-in online and then downloaded it to the 605 using the USB connection. Follow the instructions after you buy the Opera browser from Archos's web site -- they were clear and simple on how to install the Opera browser onto the device.
4. If you instead choose to click on the Portal icon, you will then see the 605 display some boxes indicating it has detected some wireless connection(s) and then it asks you if you want to see the list of connection(s). View the list and choose the connection you want to connect to. (Note: If you've downloaded and installed the Opera browser, you will see this message, too; if you haven't, you will see the screen that has a button you can click to "buy it now." As I said, I never got that to work -- and I tried a few different connections.)
5. ONce you've chosen a connection, if it is password protected, the 605 will ask you for the password. Enter it using the keyboard that will pop up. If it is not password protected, you should be able to jump on the connection.
6. Then, if you clicked the Portal icon, you'll see some buttons to press to view content. Free stuff to choose from, some of it is good.
That's it. Anyone else chime in with corrections and clarifications!
Apr 09, 2008 |
Archos 605 WiFi Digital Media Player