Has your Motorola Atrix HD stopped responding? Is your Atrix HD frozen on a lit up black screen as though the screen is getting power but will not turn on? Will the phone not power on? Is it completely dead? Here is a tip that can fix it in less than 25 seconds.
Sometimes the Motorola ATRIX HD (MB886) OS 4.0-4.1 just gets a little confused and doesn't want to work. On most other Android phones you would just pull out the battery count to 10 put it back in and then be good to go.
But guess what... you can't pull the battery out of the Motorola Atrix HD, thankfully Motorola (my 2nd favorite Android manufacture) built in a solution.
Before we start getting into troubleshooting make sure that you have tried to hold the power button down for 15 seconds to see if there is any response.
Also try and charge the phone with the original charger that came with the phone. If the battery of the device has drained to zero percent then it can take a few minutes to a couple of hours for your battery to start charging correctly again.
If you have tried holding the power key and have already tried charging it with its original charger and there is still no response, then proceed to the next part of these instructions.
What you need to do is a Simulated Battery Pull.
Here is how you do it
- Step 1: Make sure that the power is completely off. I know it doesn't want to turn on and that's part of the problem but make sure that the phone is not plugged into a charger either. Note: if the keys on the bottom of the device are lit then the phone is on, if there aren't any lights currently showing or lit up then don't worry about whether your phone is on or off, simply proceed to step 2.
- Step 2: Hold the Volume Down button and then the power button and continue to hold these 2 keys for 20 sec (count out loud it could take 15-30 sec).
- Step 3: The phone should power cycle, powering back on to full.
- Step 4: Enjoy, your phone should now be working 100% and you should be good to go. If it happens again just do the same thing.
- Step 5: if it didn't go through then try it again. Seriously try it a couple times this should fix the issue, if not proceed to the next step.
If the simulated battery pull doesn't fix the issue and the Atrix HD still doesn't power on or it's still showing a black screen then the problem might be more serious.
Try this instead
- Step 1: Make sure the power is completely off and that the phone is NOT plugged into a charger, just like we did before.
- Step 2: This time instead of the Volume Down key use the Volume Up key. Hold the Volume Up and the Power key simultaneously for 20 seconds and see if anything pops up on the screen.
- Step 3: Release the Volume Up and Power keys if/when you get any response.
- Step 4: If you get some options then use the volume down key to cycle through your choices. Look for an option to restart or reboot. (don't do the wipe data/factory reset option... yet... that's kind of a last resort)
- Step 4: Once the option is selected use the power key to make the selection.
- Step 5: The phone should reboot and you should be good to go.
If it doesn't, which it should, proceed with the second method again but select the wipe data/factory reset option mentioned in Step 4 above. The Reset is going to wipe everything from the phone and if it is a software bug that's causing these issues then it will fix it. It will wipe everything from the phone though (good and bad) so use this as a LAST resort.
If the keys on the bottom of the phone are lighting up and or you seem to be getting messages or calls but you just can't see anything on your screen then chances are high that your display malfunctioned and will need to be replaced.