While the HP software installs on a computer running Windows XP,usually during Windows device discovery (Plug and Play), the followingerror message displays on the computer: 'CannotInstall this Hardware. An error occurred during the installation of thedevice. The system cannot find the file specified.'
Acorrupt Windows installer might cause this problem. Follow these stepsto remove any installed software, perform a System Restore to returnthe computer to the way it was before the product software wasinstalled, and then download and install the most recent version of theproduct software.Step one: Uninstall the All-in-One software
Even if the installation failed, some HPsoftware components might have installed on the computer. Follow thesesteps to use the Windows Add or Remove Programs tool to uninstall thesoftware.
Step two: Perform Windows System Restore
- Disconnect the USB cable from the product.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Add or Remove Programs. The Add or Remove Programs window opens.
In the Currently installed programs list, select the following items if they are listed:
If the list of installed HP programs contains any version numbers less than 9.0, select the following items if they are listed:
- HP Officejet/Photosmart/PSC All-in-One software 9.0
- HP Imaging device functions 9.0
- HP Customer Participation program 9.0
- HP Solution Center 9.0
- HP Photosmart Essentials 9.0
- HP Officejet/Photosmart/PSC All-in-One software XX (where XX represents a version number less than 9.0)
- HP Imaging device functions XX
- HP Customer Participation program XX
Click Change/Remove, and then follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.
- Restart the computer when prompted to do so
Windows System Restore is a Windows process that allows you to resetthe computer to a specific previous state, also known as a restorepoint. This process does not affect files on the computer. However, ifyou installed any software on the computer recently, you might have toreinstall the software after System Restore is complete.
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore. The Windows System Restore program opens in a new window.
Click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next. The Select a Restore Point dialog box opens.
- Selecta date that displays in bold type on the calendar to see the availablerestore points for that date. If an installation restore point createdby the HP software installation displays in the list of restore points,select that restore point. If there are no installation restore pointsavailable, select a manual or system restore point that was createdbefore the HP product was installed.If no restore points are available, continue with "Step three: Download and reinstall the software".
Step three: Download and reinstall the software
Click Next. The Confirm System Restore Point screen opens.
Review the information on the Confirm System Restore Point screen, and then click Next.
When the System Restore completes, the message Your computer has been successfully restored displays on the computer. Click OK, and then continue to the next step to reinstall the HP software.
The HP software CD that shipped with the product frequently does notcontain the most recent version of the software and drivers. To makesure that the software is the most recent version and that there are nocorrupt installers, download the software from the HP Web site.
- Turn the product on.
- Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
Open a new window to browse to the Select Software and Drivers page:
Right-click this link, Select Software and Drivers, and then click Open in New Window.
- If prompted, type your product number. You might also need to click it in a list of similar products.
Click your operating system. (If you do not know, click Start or the Windows icon (), right-click My Computer or Computer on the menu, and then click Properties.)
The Select Software and Drivers page opens.
- Click the driver that you want to download. If you need help deciding, see the information in the previous table.
Click Download only. This option allows you to install the software at any time after the download completes.
Click Save, and then browse to the location on your computer where you want to save the file.
8. Follow these steps to install the software.
When the download is complete and you are ready to install the files, click Open Folder, and then click the downloaded file. The file name ends in .exe.
You can accept the default location to save the files. Click Next, and then wait while the installer extracts the files to prepare for installation.
- When the Install Wizard starts, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
For a Full Feature Software and Driversinstallation, you choose what type of installation you want. Theinstallation type names vary depending on your computer operatingsystem. The following information might help you decide whichinstallation type to use.