Since HTC Hero runs on the Android Operating System, you can configure your phone to sync with your GMAIL account. This way, your contacts will be saved in your list of Contacts in Gmail and you can then download them if you want to.
To configure syncing with Gmail (if not already done), do as follows:
- Go to Settings --> Accounts and Sync
- Click on the Gmail a/c link that you'd want the contacts to be saved to.
- Select "Sync Contacts" (checkbox). Once you tick the checkbox, your phone will continue syncing with Gmail at regular intervals.
- If you want to sync immediately, press MENU and choose "Sync Now"
- You'll be able to see visual confirmation of the syncing process.
Once the syncing is completed and if you want to download a copy of your contacts, use Gmail to Export your list of contacts from the Contacts section of your Account.
Hope this was helpful. If so, please consider rating this solution.