Question about Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Fire from top of Microwave

While cooking a bag of popcorn the microwave caught on fire. We stopped the microwave and put the fire out. The large plastic circle on the top of the microwave no has a large hole burned through it. How do we fix this?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Amana Master
  • 8,795 Answers
Re: Fire from top of Microwave

It's not a dangerous or diffcult job for a do-it-yourselfer.

That would be the waveguide cover (also called the stirrer fan cover), and it would need to be replaced to prevent future damage to the magnetron.

Check your model number sticker to get the full model number with suffix and the manufacturer number (PACO1860AB0 for example).

Then you can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here:

Good luck and good cooking!

We appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Nov 18, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Why did it catch on fire?

Any flaws in the painted surface on the inside of the unit will cause a spark and that generates heat. Examine the surfacecor any exposed metal. You have to use special paint to resurface the inside.

Nov 15, 2015 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Have a kitchenaid microwave KHMS2040WSS brand new. Is there a way to set the popcorn sensor for a smaller bag? Right now it is set for 3.5oz and burns all the popcorn.

I have never seen a microwave that doesn't burn popcorn if you use the "popcorn" button. Why the manufacturers keep putting them on I'll never understand. There's nothing you can do change the presets on an oven since they are built into the controller. Instead of relying on the oven, you should follw the directions on the bag. These tell you to use high power, stay by the oven and stop the cooking when the time between pops drops to 1 or 2 seconds. Stored heat will continue to pop kernels for a bit, and you won't cremate your popcorn. You'll also avoid the possibility of the bag catching fire and damaging the oven, which I have seen several times. Finally, don't expect 100% of the kernels to pop. There wil always be a few duds, and extending the cooking time just results in burned popcorn.

Jun 05, 2011 | KitchenAid KHMS2040W Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Over heating and shuting off

I am not surprised! Cloth of anysort is not recommended to be placed in a microwave oven!

That includes undies and socks which many try to speed the drying time of.

Regarding the popcorn.. The oven is overheating due to a possible containment in a hutch, where insufficient airflow is available to lower the temperature. Pull the unit away from the wall to allow more airflow, clean the vents and help it breathe.

Please rate my help++++Thanks for using FIXYA

Mar 24, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Food in micro caught fire

It may have dried out from over cooking.

This is common in potatoes, popcorn, and other low-moisture foods.

The manual will tell you about that, and it will also tell you not to leave a microwave unattended while it's running.

Nov 23, 2009 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My Dacor DCM24 microwave/convection oven is brand new and won't pop popcorn--old or new, large or small bag, with twice as much time as is on the bag, power on high. Doesn't work with the popcorn button...

Are you cooking it this way, as shown in the owner's manual?

"Use an overturned 9 or 10 inch oven proof glass pie plate on top of the
turntable when popping bagged microwave popcorn.

You can also use a paper plate in a pinch, but as always, never leave a microwave unattended while it's cooking, since some paper products can have impurities which will allow overheating and possibly fire.

This is a convection oven, so it has a metal turntable tray.

Microwaves cannot penetrate the metal from below like it would on a standard microwave's glass tray, allowing for even heating.

If you've lost your owner's manual, you can get it here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Oct 21, 2009 | Dacor DCM24 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I tried poping some popcorn in a brown paper bag and it caught on fire. I tried to the microwave again after i put the fire out and cleaned the mess up but nothing is working at all. No breakers were...

all microwaves have flame sensors that will cut the power in case of fire, this sensor will most likely have to be replaced. this will require you to drop the m/w and remove the case.

Jun 16, 2009 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

No homegrown popcorn in a microwave? why?

Popcorn is a food that has a very low moisture content, and microwave ovens rely on moisture content (water molecules) in order to cook.

If there is not enough moisture to absorb the microwave energy, much of the the energy is reflected back to the magnetron and damage it.

This is also what damages a microwave when it is run empty.

A simple solution is to add about 1/2 to 1 cup of water in a microwave-safe container in the back corner of the oven and cook your popcorn a little longer.

You'll have to experiment a few times to get the combination right for your particular model.

But allow our microwave about 15 minutes or so for the magnetron to cool down between popcorn cooking sessions.

Also, I would suggest putting a paper plate upside-down on the turntable tray, then putting the popcorn container on top of that.

This does two things: It keeps the extremely hot popcorn off the tray, reducing the chances it will crack, plus it raises the popcorn up so it will heat more efficiently.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 23, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Small 10 sec fire in microwave

it may be ok , but it should be checked for internal damage

Dec 10, 2008 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Fire inWestinghouse microwave oven

I have contacted the manufacturer, Salton, Inc to complete the warranty. Thank you for the quick response.

Feb 28, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven Logo

172 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Amana Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 3 Expert

267 Answers


Level 3 Expert

94113 Answers

Are you an Amana Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides