- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The only thing inside a microwave oven that draws enough current to blow a fuse is the magnetron that generates the microwaves to provide the cooking power. Based on the age of the unit (approx 15 years) it is most likely best to just replace it as repairs at that level are not cost effective. Newer units cook better and faster using less power these days.
You're describing a common smell that goes along with a magnetron tube that has failed. The magnetron tube makes the microwaves, and will eventually fail if you keep a microwave long enough. They can fail in a couple of different ways, and one is to short out accompanied by that burning smell. It's probably not worth trying to repair your oven because of its age. I don't believe the magnetron is available any longer. If it is, it will be costly, and replacing the tube is best left to a professional because of safety concerns. Your most economical choice would be to replace the oven.
The most likely problem is the magnetron that has failed, the other two parts of concern is the high voltage capacitor and diode, these three items work in conjunction to produce the heat. Since the repairs will be high, consideration should be given to a new microwave oven because prices have dropped drastically.
At the ripe old age of 12, the magnetron tube which makes the microwaves has most likely failed. A sudden no-heat condition is one of the most common ways they go. It's possible to replace the magnetron, but it would be an expensive repair. The tube is the most costly part, and this repair is one that should be left to a professional because of safety concerns. Between the part cost and labor, it usually more economical to replace the oven with a new one.
It is possible that something else is causing the problem, such as a failure of the control circuit board or the high-voltage power transformer. It's still not worth the repair since the 12-year old magnetron would be a failure waiting to happen. Take this opportunity to start fresh.
Search the internet for “roast chicken recipe for microwave”
Here is one just in case you don’t find one: Microwave Roast Chicken 3 lbs. chicken 1 tsp. salt 4 tbsp. butter or margarine 1 tsp. paprika Instructions Melt butter in a custard cup in microwave. Mix paprika into melted butter. Wash chicken (reserve giblets, these are best cooked conventionally). Sprinkle inside of chicken with salt. Cover ends of legs, tail, and wings with small pieces of saran wrap or wax paper. Place trivet on inverted saucer or small casserole lid in 12 x 7 inch baking dish. Place chicken breast side down on saucers. Brush with butter. Cover with waxed paper. Cook 12 minutes. Remove wax paper or saran warp from legs, tail, and wings. Turn chicken breast side up and brush with butter. Cover with wax paper and cook 12 minutes more or until meat thermometer registers 180 degrees (temperature will increase to 195 degrees during standing).
DO NOT USE MEAT THERMOMETER IN OVEN WHEN COOKING!! Remove chicken from oven; cover with aluminum foil and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Note: For other weights of chicken, allow 8 minutes cooking time per pound.
Is very unlikely that there could be any other electrical failure since everything else seems to be working.
If you are able to fix it yourself then is way more cheaper just to buy the magnetron. Click here to find the magnetron.
Before you do any work on this device, please click here to know how to discharge the high voltage capacitor and other safety concerns when working with devices that generate high voltages.
I would say is not worth it to spend more then $100.00 for a 5+ years old microwave.