Question about Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
Brand new r1800- brand new imac with leopard, downloaded correct drivers for leopard, communicates fine, but printer will not print full blacks and colors are completely off- desaturated and just wrong. computer store insists its me doing the settings wrong, but i dont know what other settings it could be besides the one i've tried in photoshop, indesign, and illustrator. any suggestions would be much appriciated. also- its not the ink, ive tried new black inks, same results.
If you updated your mac then what happens is a generic driver (GIMP/CUPS) got installed. Do the following:
To remove any previous Epson printer driver files and get a good working install of the latest download for the Intel Duo Core, do the following:
1. Double click on the MAC HARD DRIVE.
2. Double click on the LIBRARY folder.
3. Double click on the PRINTERS folder.
4. Drag the EPSON folder to the trash can.
5. Close any open windows.
6. Double click on the MAC HARD DRIVE.
7. Double click on the LIBRARY folder.
8. Double click on the RECEIPTS folder.
9. Delete any "Epson" receipts. Close back to desktop.
10. Open the OS X "Printer Setup Utility".
11. Select the "Printer Setup Utility" menu at the top of your screen and click "Reset Printing System...". Confirm resetting.
12. Close all open windows and restart your computer.
If you have not done so already, use the following steps to obtain the download for the new Intel Duo Core driver:
1. Go to http://support.epson.com
2. Select Printers then Inkjet then your printer model.
3. Under "Drivers and Downloads" select Macintosh.
4. Download only the driver marked for the Intel Duo Core system.
Printer Driver v3.0aAs
Intel-based Macs with OS X (v10.4.4 or later)
epson11769.dmg - 12.4MB - posted on 02/06/06
1. Double-click on the "epson11769.dmg" file and follow prompts to create an "epson11769_r1800_printer_driver_30aas" disk image on your desktop.
2. Open the disk image. Double-click the "SPR1800Series 30a" installer icon to begin the installation.
3. Follow prompts to complete installation. Restart Mac once the install is complete.
Do the following to add the printer once the new downloadable Intel Duo Core driver has been downloaded and installed properly:
1. Connect printer.
2. Open Printer Setup Utility.
3. Click ADD.
4. Ensure you are on the Default Browser window.
5. Highlight printer as it appears under Printer Name.
6. For "Print Using" select "Epson Stylus R1800" if this automatically appears on the list. If this does not appear, select OTHER (not "Epson" - which links you to GIMP drivers, which we don't recommend or support). NOTE: if you are using a firewire connection, the printer name may appear as a letter only - ie "E" for "Epson". This is normal.
7. A new window opens where you can Browse to the hard drive location of:
HD > Library > Printers > Epson > Inkjet Printers
(This location contains all the Intel Duo Core Epson driver plugins, be they resident or downloaded.)
8. Highlight/Select the plugin for your printer model in the Inkjet Printers folder, then click OPEN.
9. Use the up/down arrows at the end of "Print Using" again to (re)select the printer's name, which will now appear at the TOP of the "Print Using" list.
10. Click ADD. The new downloaded driver will now be added on the list.
11. If there are other printers on the list, ensure the Epson is made default before testing.
When you are working with a printer model which supports borderless and/or roll paper printing options, you will be able to select these options in the program you are printing from as you set up your print job.
1. Once you have an image or file open, go to File > Page Setup.
2. For "Format For" select the Epson printer name (rather than "Any Printer").
3. Select the appropriate Paper Size. If your printer supports different layout features, each paper size will have several different options. For example, the 4x6 paper size will have an arrow pointing right which offers choices of 4x6 Borderless, 4x6 Standard-Minimize Margins, etc. Pick the paper type plus layout/margin option you want to use here.
4. Click OK on Page Setup. You are now ready to print.
Posted on Aug 22, 2008
I think I found the problem. In the print menu, Epson had you select the Color Management option in the Advanced menu and select Off (No Color Adjustment). With Leopard, this option was moved to print settings. My Print Quality option was set at Epson Vivid. I clicked on the drop down menu and there it was, Off (No color Adjustment). My prints now look fine. Good luck
Posted on Dec 31, 2007
There are two ways to set the resolution for this printer using the new "Gutenprint" driver from Epson. One is to specify "photo" or "super photo" or "best" etc. I am convinced that these settings (which until Leopard worked just fine) are not affecting your output. What you are getting is the lowest resolution available. The GOOD NEWS is, that you can set the resolution using dpi settings. Choose a middle to high setting under the popup that gives the actual resolution numbers. After an entire evening of fiddling with this, I finally got the hi-res print I needed. Good luck!
Posted on Nov 18, 2007
If you can click on the "Systems Preferences' and then click on 'Print and Fax' pane. You can then identify your printer and RIGHT CLICK on it. choses "reset printer' and it will automatically put the correct print drivers in and you should be back in business.
Posted on Nov 15, 2007
This doesn't sound like a software problem if you ask me.
Normally, the print quality starts to deteriorate if the print head (the mechanism that holds your ink in place) nozzles are clogged.
My suggestion to you is to do 3 head cleanings in a row and every after a cleaning cycle, print a nozzle check pattern to confirm the progress.
To Clean the Print Head:
1st Method: From the R1800:
Hold down the button with the teardrop sign (ink button) for 3 seconds. You will know that it is doing it if you get a flashing green power light (this indicates that the printer is busy) and that it is done if on light is steady.
2nd Method: From the Printer Utility.
1. Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the Finder and open System Preferences.
2. In the System Preferences window, click on Print & Fax.
3. Select your printer in the list on the left side of the window.
4. Click Open Print Queue.
5. Click Utility > Head Cleaning.
To Print a Nozzle Check Pattern:
1. Turn the printer off by holding down the POWER button for about 3 seconds.
2. Disconnect the printer cable that is connecting printer to the computer.
3. Load A4 or LETTER size paper in the sheet feeder on the back of the printer.
4. Hold down the PAPER button and press the POWER button to turn on the printer. Then, release only the POWER button. Continue holding down the PAPER button until the POWER light starts to flash, and then release it.
5. The printer will print a pattern displaying a number and a nozzle pattern with black & color. Examine the nozzle check pattern that has printed. Each staggered horizontal line and straight vertical line should be complete.
If the Nozzle Check Pattern page does not print, prints with gaps or some of the colors do no appear, then there is an issue with the printer. That means that troubleshooting is required on the printer prior to using printer on the computer.
If the Nozzle Check Pattern page prints correctly and completely, the problem may lie within your software settings, the interface cable, or your computer.
Do get back to me if this doesnt work.
Keeping your Life Simple...
Posted on Apr 23, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 08, 2009 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
Jun 06, 2009 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
Nov 24, 2008 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
Jul 12, 2008 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
May 15, 2008 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
Mar 02, 2008 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
Apr 24, 2007 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
Jun 11, 2015 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
Sep 07, 2014 | Epson Stylus Photo R1800 InkJet Printer
8,716 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!