Question about Roper MHE14XKB Microwave Oven
I have a roper mhe14xkb-1 above the range microwave oven which is installed in a cabinet. i was heating up some frozen waffles (per the directions) and the packaging around the waffles caught on fire. i turned the unit off and opened the door and put out the fire. i cleaned up the smoke residue and found that none of the plastic liner was burned. the problem is that now nothing works on the microwave. the breaker is set and had never tripped. does this unit have some type of "one time" thermal fuse or limit that may be open? i am a long-time hvac mechanic, but have little experience with this type of appliance.
please help. i am trying to fix this for my parents, who are on a fixed income. thank for any useful responses. jeffreyd.
That model number looks a bit off. I'd say it's one of these:
But for a part like this, any of the above should be the same.
There are two oven cavity thermostats in this model, which essentially act as flame sensors.
There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
If you don't find yours, or if you want to look at it without disassembling the oven, you can download it here. (Try searching without suffix if you get no hits).
Accessing some components (especially the oven cavity thermostat) for testing and possible replacement will require you to remove the oven from the wall and take off the outer cover.
If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download Roper / Whirlpool owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jun 30, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 19, 2011 | Roper MHE14XKB Microwave Oven
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT
This is a job for a professional but if
you are safety clued up, here's instruction.
Make sure the !!!!capacitor is discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 or moving coil meter on high resistance range for short circuit, (DVM's won't show the fault!), the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
Jan 06, 2011 | Roper MHE14XKB Microwave Oven
Jul 31, 2010 | Roper MHE14XKB Microwave Oven
Dec 22, 2009 | Roper MHE14XKB Microwave Oven
May 07, 2008 | Roper MHE14XKB Microwave Oven
406 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: