Question about Union Pipe Fitting - 3/8 In Brass Compression

1 Answer

How to install 3/8 compression fitting? I can not put the nut in the pipe.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 520 Answers

This is because the ferrul ring has been compressed on the pipe and is very tightly secured under the nut. There is a very handy puller available which will pull the nut and ferrul off of copper piping. Without the special tool you are probably going to be faced with cutting it off and starting over again if your project affords that room. If the nut and ferrul appear good can you stay using the existing nut and ferrul? If you have no room to afford cutting and starting fresh,the nut and ferrul can be split or cut off which is somewaht of a chore. Ive got a little dremel cutting wheel that splits them off fairly well but have to bevery painstaking not to damage the pipe with the grinder wheel

Posted on Jul 02, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

What part do I need if I live in Israel and bought a kitchen faucet from USA. Both says 3/8, but is seems that one of these called FIP and one called "Compression". Can't tell which is what...

3/8" =9.5mm so you will need compression olives that are 9.5mm dia or to suit 9.5mm pipe
the metric pipe size will be 10mm so you need olives to get from 3/8 " to 10mm
as you can see there is only a slight difference but 3/8 fittings will be too tight
you will need the olives and the nut to complete the change over
with plumbing , the thread is standard bsp so there should be no problem getting the nut ( if it fits the pipe ) to screw onto the fittings

Sep 07, 2017 | Plumbing

1 Answer

1/4 " air pipe to tank fitting keeps blowing out

If there is a nut on the fitting, remove it and check whether the olive has slid off the pipe. Then replace and tighten fully (tighten by hand and then one full turn with a spanner is the rule of thumb for compression fittings) If the pipe is plastic then you may have a quick release air fitting and the air line should be pushed fully into the fitting as far as it will go.

Dec 12, 2010 | Air Tools & Compressors

1 Answer

Have had 2 3/8 brass couplings crack in the threaded portion of the fitting. One after one year the other after two years . Any suggestions as to why ?

The first things that come to mind for me are Cheap fitting, or fitting is in a bind, and the most common problem with compression fittings is over tightening. I hope this helps.

May 21, 2010 | Union Pipe Fitting - 3/8 In Brass...

1 Answer

Waterline on back of refridgerator keeps popping out and leaking

There should be a compression fitting that seals the water tube to the fridge. The fitting looks like a brass or plastic nut that the tubing sticks into. Shut off water supply to the fridge and carefully remove the fitting nut...there should be cone shaped compression ring inside the fitting nut. Slide the nut over the tube, then the compression ring over the tube. If the compression ring is tapered towards one end, then put the narrow end towards the end of the tube. Now stick the tube up to the fitting on the fridge where the nut screws on to the fridge. Hold the tubing firmly against the fitting and slide the compression ring and nut up to the fitting and screw the nut back on (compression ring should be inside the nut). You must hold the tubing firmly against the fitting until you get the nut tightened back down good with a wrench. This should take care of it.

If you find that the tip of your tube end is damaged, then you may have to cut off the tip of the tube to get it to seal and hold. If you find that the compression ring is damaged (won't slide over the tubing) or missing, then you can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a new nut and compression ring...they are cheap. You can also get new tubing there if you need it.

May 16, 2010 | Frigidaire FRS23KF7AB Side by Side...

1 Answer

Water leaking out the bottome of the disposal.

Check WHERE the water is coming from... tie paper towels around the fittings... at the top of the elbow that comes out of the side of the disposal and points down, just below the compression nut where the vertical part of the elbow enters the P-Trap, below the nut on the other side of the P-Trap, below the nut on the bottom of the elbow where the vertical part of the P-Trap goes horizontal. DRY off the bottom of the cabinet and put a dry paper towel down...
NOW, run the water, get a good flashlight and see exactly where the water is coming from (the paper towels tied around the pipes will help you see which compression fitting is leaking) if the water is not coming from one of the joints, and is coming from the actual disposer housing, that housing may be cracked and need to be replaced. Otherwise, if you can find the compression fitting that is loose and leaking, tighten it. If that doesn't work, you may need to replace the compression ring (plastic washer) which you can buy at any HW store.

Oct 11, 2009 | Emerson Home

1 Answer

I am installing a new kitchen faucet and have two problems. Number one the plastic flange njuts that hold the old faucet to the sink won't come off. I tried to loosen them with WD-40 and white vinegar. No...

First of all, you need a faucet wrench. It's about 12 inches long, has a t-handle on one end and jaws on the other -- this will grip the plastic nuts to remove them.

I'm not sure what is meant by breaking the seal. If the soldered fitting broke loose, the best approach is to cut the copper pipe off past the damage and solder a new fitting on it necessary for the new hose to screw onto it.

There are a lot of ways to solve this problem -- if you can't manage the soldering, we can discuss other options.

Apr 20, 2009 | Plumbing

1 Answer

Fitting monobloc kitchen diagram on pipe fittings

The tap should have 2 pipes about 6-10 inches long and almost the thickness of a maker pen {10mm or 15mm]
U will need either a 10-15 connection or a 15-15 connection either straight or elbowed according to routing need to main pipes [& these should also be 15mm
connections are fixed either with solder or have nuts on each end to tighten [compression] or are just push-on ["Speedfit"]
Ger back if u need more

Mar 23, 2009 | Plumbing

1 Answer

Installation of shut off valves

First shut off the main water supply. This is likely located close to your water meter where the main water supply enters your house. After shutting the water off, open a faucet on the lower level and let the water lines drain. Disconnect the water supply line running to the base of the fixture you will be working on. On some, this will just be a screw on connection, and on others it may be a soldered pipe. If it's soldered, use a hacksaw (or better yet, a pipe cutter) to cut the pipe in two places, about 2" down from the base of the fixture and also 6" to 10" further down the pipe. Use the reamer on the pipe cutter to remove any burrs on the copper pipes, and then clean them (with a piece of sandpaper or emery cloth) until they shine. Slide the compression nut from the shut off valve onto the pipe with the threads facing the open end. Then slide on the compression ring. Wrap the pipe with Teflon tape or spread plumbing joint compound on the end of the pipe, and then push the shutoff onto the end of the pipe. Slide the compression nut and ring up to the shut off valve and hand tighten the nut. Attach the compression fitting of the flexible supply tube to the other side of the shut off valve and hand tighten it as well. Attach the compression fitting on the supply tube to the base of the faucet and hand tighten it. Once all your compression fittings are attached and hand tightened, use an adjustable wrench to tighten them all firmly. Be careful you don't over tighten as this can bend the soft copper pipe out of round or damage a compression fitting. Turn the water back on and check for leaks. (Don't forget to open the shut off valve when you turn on the faucet.)

Aug 27, 2008 | Moen Chateau, Two-Handle Garden Tub Faucet...

1 Answer

Dishwasher leak

Tape won't solve this issue. The fitting I assume is a compression fitting which is a ring on the copper pipe that is compressed when the nut is tightened. If tightening the nut won't resolve the issue, then you will need to cut the copper behind the ring and put a new ring on an retighten. The key with compression rings is to make sure the copper is pushed into the male part on the fitting until it bottoms out before tightening the nut.

Jan 06, 2008 | Dishwashers

Not finding what you are looking for?
Union Pipe Fitting - 3/8 In Brass Compression Logo

1,612 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Union Plumbing Experts

Andrew Bugbee

Level 2 Expert

259 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

46092 Answers

Gil Shultz

Level 3 Expert

3382 Answers

Are you an Union Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides