The deck can only go down to the 4th level, after that it is on the ground. when at the highest level -6 it still cuts the grass way to short. about 2 inches,
I can level the deck side to side and front to back, but see no way to adjust it higher
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: deck not high enough
Assuming this is a Craftsman, there is an adjustment for height, but mainly just for leveling purposes. There is a nut on each side in the center of the hanger and unless these are all the way to the bottom end, it's not going to raise the deck that high. I would look carefully at the deck hanger mechanism on each side. Something is obviously not right. Has it always been like this, or did you just get the mower? You can go to.. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action Then enter the model number that's under the seat, hit search, then scroll down to Lift Assembly for a look at how it is set up. I have seen broken hanger rods as well as a broken weld on the lift handle where it's attached to the cross shaft. Hope this helps..
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1) NEVER adjust to where the deck wheels touch the ground. The wheels are to ride 1/4" off the ground. 2) The long lever to your left which raises & lowers the deck has 3 settings. 1- Fully back toward you which has the deck raised (called transport mode). 2- Halfway down which is the normal mowing mode (called float mode) 3- Fully away from you which sets the deck fully on the ground. This mode is ONLY used for VERY rough terrain where the deck risks getting pushed into "transport" or "full up" mode & getting stuck there. 3) On front-to-back tilt, the front should be 1/2inch lower than the back for least damage to the grass. Ok-now to adjust "cutting" height. 1) Park on a level, flat surface. 2) Pull the deck lever fully back toward you to put the deck into "transport" mode. 3) twist the "cutting" height knob (just below your seat) to the height you want the grass cut. Has choices by 1/2" increments from 1" to 3.5". The deck in "transport" mode is 4". 4) Lower the deck lever to the midway/"floating" mode point. 5) Adjust each deck wheel with its own peg & pin to have at least 1/4" clearance from ground. Thats it for "cutting height" adjustments
call your deere dealer,
if you look under lawn mower were the deck attachs you will see the adjustment rods unhook one at a time to adjust ether screw the rod in or out do this on a driveway so you can measure with the tape measure how for you or lifting deck and can match hight on both sides
The deck may be installed in the incorrect position on your tractor (if this is a tractor). If you have the owner's manual, check the information for installing the cutting deck. If not, then check the action of the lever and deck when raising it and lowering it, to verify it is working properly.
just bought a new craftsman riding mower. model lt1500. 17.5 hp with 42 inch deck. first time using I had the deck hight handle set on 6 the highest setting and still cuts grass to short, matter of fact it scalped the grass. anyway to set the deck higher. Its only 3 days old and still under warranty but the sears store is 20 miles away and I rented a trailer to go pick it up and hate to go rent another trailer to bring it back if its just a simple adjustment.
My 10 steps to ensure even cutting for any riding mower.
1. The rear tires must be the same diameter i.e. same tread type and the same amount of pressure
2. Level the deck following the instructions in the manual
3. Make sure the blades are not damaged or bent.
4. Make sure the deck nor its attachments are bent
5. keep the blades sharp and don't drive too fast when mowing.
6. Over lap rows about 20%
7. Cut the grass at intervals that ensures you never cut more than 1/3rd the total length of the grass.
9. Make sure the underside of the deck is free from chunks of clippings.
10. Use a blade with higher lift, yes you have to match the blades to the type of grass you cut most often, (commercial mowers use a universal blade and high speed decks).
When you put it in the highest setting can you see the deck actually moving in an upward direction? If not the linkage might be broken or damaged. When you raise the deck up or down with the lever it should move, a deck setting in the full up position is a pretty high setting you have to have some long grass to be cutting in the full up position and still think its to short. You might be able to reposition the deck, if when you look under the unit you see a bracket that controls the deck height setting that has a number of holes in it(maybe even 2 brackets), there should be a pin(s) in one of the holes this could be set in a low position and therefore you can change position to change height of deck.
1-----------tire pressure? 14 front 10 rear
start with a level mower on a level surface
2------------deck level side to side?
3------------deck level front to back? (front can be 3/8 lower than back)
4-----------deck hangers bent or hung up?
5------------blades even when pointing at each other? no more than 1/8 high or low
6------------blades dull or upside down? turned up ends go towards deck
7---------------incorrect blades for mower?
8------------deck lifting mechanism should pick up deck evenly and drop evenly?
9-----------under the deck need cleaning because it is packed with grass?