My grandparents moved to this home in 1998 thare this lamp for the bastment stairs that everytime you turn it on you can smell overheating wiring thay change the bulb out to a lower watt bulb but the smell
is still thare when it turn on something tell me the wiring
on the lamp has gone faulty and overheats when the lamp is on i dont
doubt it sins the lamp is pretty old
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you removed the screws, they should be reinserted in the same fashion as when they were removed. One thing to remember, over heating can change the sockets overall condition and using it could lead to a fire in the long run. It sounds like the contact between the lamp (Bulb) and the fixtures base has a gap. Electrical sparks (arcing) will smell and thus is a danger calling out, shut me down.
is running rich. that cutting out is called misfire. in this case, rich caused misfiring. Does the CEL lamp come on? Check engine lamp. misfire is complex. (caused my many a thing and needs careful diagnosis by a technician)
Are you referring to an actual elevator or the stairs lift? Elevators are much more expensive than the stairs lifts. Of course they have to be wide enough with the right curve. Please take a look at this site: http://www.daytonaelevator.com/
These devices typically require a minute or two to change state from ON to OFF when the the threshold of light and darkness is reached. Place black electrical tape over the sensor and allow a minute for it to turn the light on. Make sure that no light shines into the sensor or that the sensor can not see light in the night time.
Lastly, double check instructions and wiring. White should be connected to BOTH the neutral incoming power AND the light fixture's white wire(s). Most times, black is 120V source, and red is the switched 120V out to the fixture.
If it isn't working, make sure the lamps are good. This photocell is suitable for use with compact fluorescent lamps, fluorescent lamps and other fixtures that use ballasts and transformers as long as they do not require more than 840 VA.
if fixture is as shown, remove the nut in the middle of the fixture, remove the lamp, and replace it, note donot touch the lamp with your fingers, this causes lamp to fail, use a cloth to install then replace in reverse as you took it apart
Power to the ballast is good. The power you checked is known as the primary power. The secondary power from the ballast (transformer), should be around 600 volts. This 600 volts is what vaporizes the gas in the fluorescent lamp. Go to home depot and buy a magnetic field tester (we call it a thumper) It has a shirt pocket clip on it. Do not insert the thumper in the fixture lamp sockets, just put it in front of one of the light fixture sockets. It should beep and the light on the magnetic field tester (thumper) should come on if you have a magnetic field in the light fixture socket. This means that the light fixture ballast secondary is working. No beep and no light from the magnetic field tester (thumper) means your ballast is bad. Ballast are dangerous to replace. Have an electrician replace it. Your life is not worth losing over saving a few dollars.