Question about Microwave Ovens
This was bought in 2001 and has had only 2 call-outs. It started to create sparks occasionally for no apparent reason so we solved this temporarily by placing a dinner plate on the turntable. The part inside the machine which looks like a piece of card is now creating fire when microwave is selected. The rest of the machine's functions are fine.
Can you tell me what part that is and if replacement of it will solve the problem please?
This is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.
The waveguide cover is usually about the size of a playing card and held in place by a plastic rivet.
It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!
The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.
If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smmoth and clean.
Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart or Lowe's.
If your waveguide cover is burned (and it sounds like it is) it will need to be replaced.
I might be able to point you to a specific part supplier if you give me your brand and model.
Posted on Nov 18, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 14, 2014 | Microwave Ovens
Jan 31, 2014 | Sharp R-930AK Convection/Microwave Oven
Nov 24, 2013 | LG Microwave Ovens
It is possible that the unit takes in too much current to cut off the controller unit so if there is spark please do not switch on unless you have confirmed the fault. It is possible that the Magnetron is leaking and sparking to the ground. As you have mentioned it was stored, it is quite possible that insect can get into the oven and create soft spots. When you switch on these will create a short and make the voltage jump and in the long run damage the magnetron.
So Remove cover after disconnecting , check for dirt/moisture in the cabin, if so wipe clean and dry, check the magnetron and area clean and use an jet air to clean off.
Now keeping clear switch on , use a cup of water inside to test.
If you notice any sparks shut off as the magnetron or the main HT capacitor can be faulty. replace with same type.
If there is heating without any issues , you can use the microwave safely
Jul 30, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jul 07, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 26, 2009 | Whirlpool GH8155XJ Microwave Oven
Jan 09, 2009 | Emerson MW8987B/W Microwave Oven
Dec 27, 2008 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven
Dec 20, 2008 | Frigidaire FMV145K Microwave Oven
441 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!