I can see specs of mold inside the until. I cleaned the air grate with a toothbrush and alot of black gunk cam eout. Now I need to get to the mold inside and how to clean it. Is there some safe way to take it apart to clean the specs of mold?
There is a product on the market that will prevent mold from growing in your air conditioner.You should be able to find it at a refrigeration supply house.Just take the product and place it in the area where the water collects.There is also a product to help you clean your unit of contaminants on the heat exchanger surfaces.It simply sprays on,and can be later rinsed off.Its usually a straight forward matter to remove the cover from an air conditioner.Usually no more than 4 screws.Some units will slide out of their covers,after removing the screws that keep them locked in place,and some covers simply lift off from the rest of the unit once the screws are removed.In either case the rest of the unit minus the cover will remain intact,and can be cleaned.Cleaning the unit will almost always make it work better too,so your killing two birds with one stone.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Take the old throttle body, tip it up so you can see the circle flap that controls air flow, if it's black and dirty, pick up a can of brake cleaner and a toothbrush and spray the brake clean inside onto the flap and use the toothbrush to clean away all the gunk. This will prevent it from sticking, and possibly get your money back for the throttle body you purchased.
Any mold in any part of the unit is not good, especially if its in the Styrofoam, Styrofoam has pores and hides the mold spores well, it would be dangerous to actually run the unit with mold spores as it can travel inside the house. Unfortunately companies that make these units don't make these units mold proof, why should they? that's how they make their money. I have three units, one has always given me problems with mold. It always comes back. The other two are always clean. My best advice, get rid of the unit and get another one or get a free estimate on Central air and heat. Mold is very dangerous and is not worth the risk, it can cause a number of medical issues.
1 Put on rubber gloves and safety glasses before commencing the cleaning process.
2 Lay an old towel or drop cloth on the floor under the front of the washer to prevent floor damage as you clean.
3 Fill a plastic cup with bleach and dip a tooth brush into the bleach.
4 Remove the toothbrush and scrub the washing machine gasket with it to remove the black mold from it. Hold the gasket open with the fingers of your other hand so that you can clean the center grooves of the gasket where the most mold is likely to grow.
5 Rinse the toothbrush in the cup of bleach and continue cleaning until you have removed the mold from the entire gasket.
6 Wipe the gasket with a paper towel to remove excess bleach residue and any remaining mold.
Ruth this happens alot ive answered alot of questions so im going to make it short please give me a vote and rating the unit needs to be pulled out and taken out side sprayed really well with cleaner homedepot and lowes sells coil cleaner in their a/c dept. it isnt as good as what your local a/c man can get but will do what happens is the consensation stays in those systems cause the deposits and rust in the drain sometimes clogg the exit when your not useing it it has water that will set their for months at a time the mildew is the least of your worry in most cases theirs mold present as well and as brings spiders and misqitoes I dont know if you can install one in that unit or not but seach online uv lights for a/c systems I think you will like what you see
This is a comon problem In areas where miosture is high and the tempiture is warm. Try using bleach to clen it off with or you can use super clean to remove it from the rubber. Not touchingthe seal with your hands and clothes will help some to.
You can use a spray bottle with 100% bleach in it to kill the mold. After spraying the gunk, you can put on some rubber gloves (those dishwashing ones are a good choice) and use some paper towels to wipe up as much of the mold as you can reach.
Spray more bleach on the parts you're cleaning to keep sanitizing the A/C unit and wipe everything dry. You should put all the stuff you used for cleaning it up (paper towels, gloves, etc.) into a plastic trash bag,
I'd also recommend that you do this when any small children and pets aren't in the room you've got the A/C in, and also wear a face mask to keep from breathing in anything that could cause a respritory ailment.
You can also use some Lysol disenfectant to give the whole unit a nice going over, once you're done, to be sure that you've killed any active mold spores. It might be good to give the unit a once-a-month cleaning to prevent the growth of mold in the future.
dirt, dust, or mold. could also be the tubing insulation flaking off. either way, open it up and clean it out. the dirt, dust, and flaking insulation can restrict air flow through the coils and cause the ac to not function properly. if it is mold, it's can cause sickness (legionaire's disease). do not use chemicals on the coils. it might be best to replace the ac alltogether. to prevent mold: when installing the ac, make sure the unit is slightly tipped towards the outside. any condensation that collects on the coils will drain out. failure to do so will result in water pooling inside, and this can cause mold.