Part 1. Some common causes of data loss on Western Digital Hard Drive
Western Digital delivers high quality and high-performance hard drives in the industry. There is no doubt about the quality of these hard drives. But even the Western Digital hard drive users can lose their precious data stored on their hard drives. When something like data loss occurs with you, use the Western Digital hard drive recovery to recover your lost data. But you also need to learn the causes of the Western Digital data loss before performing the WD data recovery as it will help you prevent future data losses. There are various reasons that can lead to data loss on your Western Digital internal or external hard drives. For example,
Part 2. How to Recover Data from Western Digital Hard Drive
- Accidental deletion
- Accidentally formatted Western Digital Hard Drive
- Wrongly format or lost partition
- Unrecognized and inaccessible drives
- File system corruption
- Eject or power off WD drive improperly
- Virus attack
External hard drives are more susceptible to data losses than internal hard drives as they are connected and disconnected to various computers in their lifetime. Data losses are as common on Western Digital external hard drive as on other hard drives. But data is not deleted from a hard drive permanently but only the link to the data is deleted from the register, making it inaccessible. The file will remain on the drive until it is overwritten by new files and data recovery software makes use of this principle to recover data from Western Digital external hard drive.
You just need to use the correct Western Digital hard drive data recovery that can help you recover your data safely from your Western Digital portable hard drive. We have found that Recoverit is the best tool for data recovery on WD external hard drive.
Why Choose Recoverit Data Recovery?
Recoverit is a propriety data recovery tool from the global leader in the Application software development - Wondershare. If you ever face data loss on your Western Digital hard drive, then you can use the Recoverit data recovery tool to get back any data was lost caused of accidental deletion, formatted, WD hard Drive corrupted or inaccessible, virus attacked and power failure, etc. It is the fastest and the most effective data recovery tool currently available in the market.
Step by Step Guide to Recover Data from Western Digital Hard Drive
First you need to simply download and install the Recoverit data recovery tool and then launch the Recoverit application on your computer after installation. You can choose Window version or Mac version of Recoverit according to your system. Here we take Windows version as example. After that, you can follow the steps below carefully to recover data from Western Digital external hard drive.
Part 3. WD external hard drive not recognized. How to Fix?
- Step 1 Connect your WD external hard drive to the computer using suitable cables.
- Step 2 At the interface of Western Digital data recovery application, select "External Devices Recovery" module to recover data from Western Digital external hard drive.
- Step 3 On the "External Devices Recovery" screen, select the Western Digital hard disk and click the "Start" button. Recoverit Western Digital data recovery will start a quick scan on your Western Digital external hard drive for lost files.
- Step 4 After the quick scan, you can preview the files that are found on the drive. If the files you want are not there, click "All-Around Recovery" to start a Deep Scan.
- Step 5 Deep scan will find all recoverable files on your Western Digital external hard drive. Preview and select the files that you want to recover and then click on "Recover" button to restore them on your computer.
While using the WD external hard drive, users may go through issues like hard disk not recognized. A variety of reasons can result in a Western Digital external hard drive not recognized. Some of the common troubleshooting is discussed below.
1) Change the USB port or connect it with another new/available USB cable
There are common chances that your WD external drive fails to be detected to show up in your computer. In such case, you have to change the USB port or connect your hard drive by using a new USB cable. In general, the issues like WD external hard drive not recognized easily gets fixed by these measures.
2) Scan and clean up possible virus or malware
Virus attack is a serious issue when people connect their WD external hard drive to other computers. The hard drive gets easily affected when attacked by a virus, which hampers its functioning and makes you unable to access the data available on the hard drive. This makes it vital to remove the malware or virus available on your PC and WD hard drive. By scanning it with reliable anti-virus software you can easily remove the virus or malware.
3) Turn on USB Root Hub to make WD external hard drive recognizable
To troubleshoot the problem like WD external hard drive not recognized, you can turn on USB Root Hub to make it recognizable.
4) Check Disk Management
- Select Start and type devmgmt.msc, then press Enter.
- Open up the Device Manager and expand the USB controllers.
- Now, right click on the USB Root Hub, select Properties and then head to Power Management.
- Uncheck the box saying "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save the power".
- Use this process repeatedly to turn on all the USB Root hubs displayed on the list. After that, restart your computer and the WD external hard drive should appear on your PC.
You can try checking the Disk management utility to see if the hard drive is showing up there or not. A drive may not be showing up because it hasn't been assigned a drive letter or assigned an already existing one. You can change the Drive letter of your Western Digital external hard drive to fix the issue.
To change the drive letter of the hard drive follow the below steps.
Part 4. Useful Tips to protect your WD hard disk
- Press Windows + R to start the Run command.
- Type Diskmgmt.msc and press enter to start the Disk management.
- Now, find your WD external hard disk and right click on it and select Change Drive letter and path.
- Then, assign a new drive letter to your WD external hard and click OK to save the changes.
- After doing that, the following letter will be assigned to your Western Digital external hard drive and it will show up on the computer.
1) Do not add new data
- Do not add any new files to the WD disk after data loss from Western Digital external hard drive. This can overwrite the files that can be recovered from the hard disk and you will permanently lose all the data. Hence, before you find out and recover all the lost data on your hard disk, stop adding new content on it. This will improve your chances of recovery.
2) Use Antivirus software
- Regularly scan your WD hard drive with authorized antivirus software to help remove possible viruses from your WD external hard drive. By scanning and removing viruses from your computer regularly, your computer will be healthy and free from any file corruption that could lead to data loss.
3) Eject WD hard drive by using "safe remove" option
- Never unplug or disconnect your WD hard drive abruptly as sudden removal may not give it enough time to save the status and lead to file system corruption. Always eject the WD external hard drive using the "Safe Remove" option to prevent data loss from sudden ejection.
4) Save the files to another hard disk or storage device after recovery
- Always save the recovered files on another hard disk or storage device to ensure 100% recovery. This is because there is still a risk of data loss when you recover the files on the original location. Even if the drive itself has no problems, there is a chance of data loss when you recover files on the same location as it can overwrite the files that are to be recovered and you will permanently lose them.
No doubt Western Digital produces the best quality hard drives, but even they are as susceptible to data losses as other hard drives in the market. You may get really troubled when you lose your precious data due to virus attacks, accident deletion, hard drive corruption, lost partition and other reasons. In this case, you can use the Recoverit WD data recovery tool to recover data from an external hard drive, including Western Digital hard drive within just several clicks.
Best Way to Recover Data from Western Digital Hard Drive