Question about Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Limited heat power

Pop, electrical burning smell, and some smoke from right top corner while in use, but everything still works except it takes twice as long to heat things as it normally would. Is this something I can easily fix?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    Corporal:

    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.

    Mayor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 17 Answers

It sounds like the transformer is shorting out on you but is not completely shorted.It will be shorting out on the output side of the transformer.this will give you a lower output level,and will cause the microwaves to be weaker.(less turns of wire in the secondary of the transformer).The short will probably get worse.Simply replacing the transformer should cure the microwave.

Posted on Jun 24, 2009

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Heard a pop and then an electrical smell. Unit is working but a faint electrical smell occurs each time unit used. Should I continue using it? It is built in with a trim kit.


No that is a very dangerous situation. What is sounds like is you had a short that blew apart but not completely damaging the wires. You should unplug, and open it if its out of warranty and inspect the wires. If the wires are partially burned it can heat up and cause an electrical fire.

May 19, 2010 | Panasonic NN-S541 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave Heating Problems


Magnatron or the HV Transformer. Each has a distinct odor, Mag is heavy and thick burning smell transformer is more electrical. Eric

Aug 04, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

MY SAMSUNG MW6574W OVEN FUSE BLOWS AFTER 4-5 MINS OF REHEATING-NO SMELL OF BURNING -EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE- NO LOOSE WIRING-ALL BULBS WORK FINE TOO- THE FOOD HEATS UP FINE EXCEPT THAT THE FUSE BLO


the insulation of the wiring has detiorated and with temperatue rising it further deteriorates. thus increasing the current consumption and blowing the fuse

May 21, 2009 | Samsung MW6575G/MW6574W Microwave Oven

2 Answers

My Panasonic Microwave Genius 1300W will not heat up the food and the rotate dish spins and the sensor reheat will not heat up the food. Nor cook Pop Corn when pressing the buttons to 2:00 cook time. I...


Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.

The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven. Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.

There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly lengthy process however.


Benjamin

May 14, 2009 | Panasonic NN-S960WA Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore over the range microwave 721.63684300 - nothing works


you must remove the MW take off the cover then look for a large metal can (capacitor) and a white (ceramic) fuse...look and, smell and, you should find the cause

Apr 02, 2009 | Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave...

2 Answers

Microwave Smokes


the problem is in the magnetron try to replace it.

Jan 27, 2009 | GE JVM1660 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Is the microwave possibly dangerous after it popped & now smells


Hello jeffnlaur,
The sound you heard could be any number of things but I would attempt to verify the basic preformance of the microwave was ok by placing a cup of water in the cooking compartment and switching the micro on for about 2 minutes.. The water should be close to or at a boil after this time ( depending on glass type and power output of oven). Listen for any other irregular sounds while it is running. You may have heard something in the soup pop or some of the electronics within the micro arc but it may not mean it is dangerous. Try the water test first and if it continues to exibit internal noises and burning a burning smell, I would discrad the oven. Table top models are very inexpensive and the cost to diagnose and repair would probably exceed the cost to replace,
In terms of dangerous, there are safety devices to cut off power to the magnetron and other components if warranted. Not sure that helps you but with limited info from your side, diagnostics are 'iffy' at best..
Regards
Rick

Jan 09, 2009 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Daewoo kor-861h, electrical smell and will not heat.


Turn if off, and leave it alone, remove it, if you can remove the unit, take it in for service, something is wrong if you smell electrical, most people for some reason can smell and identify correctly electrical or at least insulation burning smells, which means something is burning internally, not safe, fire hazard, unit needs to be repaired by qualified technician or replaced with new unit, take no chances, nothing you can do to repair this, could be a shorting transformer, or shorting power cables, but to attempt to trouble shoot this with email is a long shot, and depends on your experience expertize and testing equipment.

I wish I could give you a short easy answer, but the hazard and your safety is more important than a microwave.

Will

Nov 30, 2008 | Daewoo KOR-860A Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Maytag microwave mmv1153aaw


my guess would be the wave cover. sometimes they smoke and makes sparking sounds. does it still heat food?...if it does, then its not the magnetron.

Feb 18, 2008 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave Oven Logo

214 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

Jaime Hernandez

Level 3 Expert

2318 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...