JES1209SK01 GE Microwave/Convection oven Sparks/flames from wave guide. First time microwave was replaced with the same model. Now it has happened again. Both times the microwave was less than 1 year old.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This is because the coating inside the oven or the wave guide has been damaged and microwaves are hitting bare metal and causing sparks. Take the light bulb out of it and when it is dark, put a glass of water in it and turn it on. If you can see the sparks then you know what needs to be repaired. You can buy microwave oven paint. It is special paint though, you cannot just use any paint. If you cannot see sparks then the area that is damaged is inside the unit and it should be taken in for repairs. If you don't fix it, it will blow out the magnetron and you will be looking at a new oven.
Generally once they start sparking it is the end of the microwave. If they are sparking in the cavity sometimes cleaning the cavity thoroughly will stop this. If it is in the wave guide. there really is no fix.
Actually you don't need to replace the microwave, you just need to replace the carboard piece or "wave guide" and replace the magnetron inside the microwave behind the cardboard piece. The magnetron will commonly arc out to the wave guide if the wave guide gets something that splatters on it. The repair isn't cheap because the magnetron costs about $200 and the wave guide is another $30 or so, but if you replace both these parts you should be good to go again. The magnetron usually have 5 years warranty, however you need to speak with manufacturer itself for the same. Let me know,if needed further assistance. Hope i helped you. Thanks for using ' Fixya ' and have a nice day!!
A dirty or damaged wave guide cover can cause sparks, fire and noises. You can order a replacement wave guide cover from many appliance parts websites for less than $15 in many cases. It should fix the problem.
Our JE1860SH was also sparking after a few seconds. The GE tech pulled the upper round disk and found the problem. The plastic was burned and the round metal which is behind the plastic dome was arching with the frame. Lasted seven years expected more especially from a GE product. So my suggestion is to remove the dome and check it out.
YOU SHOULD NOT RUN MICRO WITHOUT ANY THING IN IT / THIS WILL OVER LOAD THE MAG TUBE . AND SOME TIMES FRY IT .. The sparking and arcing is probably a bad wave guide . this is sometimes caused by food splater / it gets in the cracks and corners and then cooks till it truns to carbon which conduts the micro's and thus arching .. clean it good and touch up any burns in the metal and repl wave guide cover. mm hope this will help .. mm
Q - When there is small amounts of food in the oven, arcing occurs right behind the plate where the wave guide comes into the oven. Sometimes it works well and sometimes you can't even put in a bag of popcorn. Any ideas? Could food have 'dripped' in here and be causing a microwave short?
A - Yes! Food splatter or drips can continue to cook and will carbon over creating sparks/arcs from the wave guide cover. Usually can clean up the food on and under the wave guide cover, if the oven liner has been damaged we usually lightly sand and touch up those marks with touch paint. Do not let it go for too long as damage to the magnetron end is possible as well :( If the wave guide cover has been damaged, replace it!