Question about Computers & Internet

Open Question

What is static electricity - Computers & Internet

Posted by Anonymous on

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Explain the difference between static electricity and current electricity


Static electricity...

Generally considered a nuisance... can cause serious damage to electronic equipment... (it is STORED power)

Thunder & lightening are STATIC electricity...

Wiki definition included (below)

For commercially available ELECTRICITY...
(usa) "currents" ... All electricity functions because of a DIFFERENCE in potential. When you start adding wires then you are harnessing that potential DIFFERENCE into usable energy.

Direct current & Alternating current... Generally referred to as "AC" & "DC"

Most all of the power grid you are looking at on power poles around your community... have "AC" flowing on the power wires
good for powering residential housing and commercial power applications

Immediately below those wires ... The phone wires
have to run about 10 feet below the "AC" wires...
Phone systems run on "DC" because it is quiet
(communications systems).

Alternating CURRENT can be rectified into Direct...
and Direct CURRENT can be inverted into Alternating.

Generators,
solar panels & BATTERIES output DC
Which can be accumulated and stored.

Alternators
output AC... and because AC is less susceptible to magnetic interference... it can travel great distances with very little loss.

Very interesting topic for further research ... and the principals of both... as argued by no less than Nicola Tesla & Thomas Edison.

Hope this helps

Static electricity

Carnac the Magnificent

Apr 10, 2017 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

Static electricity


From what you have said, I am guessing that you shorted out the little controller chip(s) on the circuit board. Some of the Vornado heaters are serviceable by the company but you would have to check your model number. They have a live chat that can tell you if you go to Vornado.com and click on support you will see it.

Mar 17, 2014 | Vornado Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Just white screen with blue border


That normally happens because of the static electricity that builds up on the system board of your machine. This might be a result of sliding the laptop on the bed or carpet which make the static electricity to build up on the machine. Remove the battery, remove the power source, and remove any cd from the CD drive and hold down the power button for at least 2 minutes just to drain the static electricity out of your system

Feb 22, 2012 | HP Compaq FP 7317 17" Flat Panel LCD...

1 Answer

I have a bodyguard t260 treadmill and when I run on it there is a great deal of static electricity that shocks me when I touch the treadmill handles


The shock is a build up of static electricity on your body called Electrostatic Discharge (ESD). Friction between the walking board and belt can generate static electricity.

If experienced, the shock is not harmful or dangerous.

Nov 11, 2011 | Exercise & Fitness

1 Answer

There is static coming out of my speakers on my stereo. I I checke to make sureall the wires are connected properly and the power is plugged in securely. There is static with the sound on all...


Don't worry, it's more possible that you have the static electricity and through your stereo this electricity goes to the ground. Try touching another metalic surfasce (refrigirator, oven etc), try to change your shoes (especialy if your stereo is on a carpet floor and you walk on it) Sometimes when we are very nervous the static electricity on our body is higher. So keep calm.

Stelios.

Feb 20, 2010 | RCA WSP155 Main / Stereo Speaker

1 Answer

Any watch that I wear loses at least an hour a day.


This is very rare, but it looks like you are the one with ability to generate high levels of static electricity. And static electricity is naturally occurring very high voltage electricity, sometimes reaching thousands of Volts in charge. Human body is excellent conductor and as any conductor it will discharge itself when the time and place is right. Every human body has static electricity, but in most cases it isn't strong enough to interfere with everyday use things surrounding us. In your case it is different - you may not even notice it, but your discharge can interfere or even damage things. My advise to you is to buy a mechanical watch (spring driven). This should solve the problem, as the only force to have an affect on mechanical watch is gravity. And gravity is beyond any humans reach and will remain constant for the couple of million years.

Jan 07, 2010 | Timex Expedition 40141 Wristwatch

1 Answer

Electric shock when leaving car


Although it's possible that there is an electrical problem in your car, it's more likely that the shock you're feeling is naturally occurring static electricity.

If your tires were replaced as part of the front end repairs, it's possible this is the cause. Cars naturally build up static electricity from rolling around on rubber tires (the same thing that happens when you rub a balloon on your hair). This static used to get dissipated through the tires to the ground -- however, new, fuel-saving tires with lower rolling resistance are made of a rubber compound that doesn't dissipate static electricity as well as the old stuff. (The price we pay for better gas mileage.)

The static builds up in your car, and then gets discharged through you when you get out of the car and complete a circuit between the car and the ground through your body.

One solution is to attach a ground strap to your car. You can buy these rubber strips from most auto parts stores. One end attaches to a metal part on your car. The other end drags on the ground and dissipates static through it, rather than through you.

Sep 13, 2009 | iLO XM-MP3-CD Car Stereo

1 Answer

What causes the static background noise in my keyboard?


Hi,

It sounds as though you have a static electricity problem in your volume pot. Although there are sprays on the market that you can use for all of the electrical switches on your keyboard which removes and suppresses static electricity, one way to make sure this is the problem is to slide your volume slider to maximum, then minimum, up and down about 10 to 20 times, if the scratchy sound begins to diminish, you knwo the problem lies there. As a matter of fact, if you do it long enough, the sound may go away altogether, although without a good spray of electronics cleaner or electrical contact cleaner (which you can find at stores like home depot or online, even eBay), the sound will return.

If this is not the case, and the scratchy static sound does not go away or depreciate, it could be your cords or even static on the pc board inside the unit. If you are confident that you can crack the case on your board without causign damage, then get a screwdriver and open the case (all screws are located on teh bottom of the unit) and give it a good spraying with electrical contact cleaner on all of the contacts and even a once over on all of the circuit boards. Do not wet the circuit boards with too much spray, rather, give them a light misting.

For areas where you plug in, like your 1/4 inputs, your midi ins and outs, and headphone jack, spray the contact cleaner inside the holes. You don't have to worry about spraying too much in these areas. Just do not oversaturate.

Hope this helps, and thanks for using FixYa

Jul 18, 2009 | Music

1 Answer

My 2002 honda accord SE coupe has started to have static whenever I play any kind of music. The static is directly related to the bass. The more base, the more static. If you play hip hop or techno music,...


you need to install a filter on the power leads of the radio and the amp.  The filter in your electrical system have gone bad and your alternator is generating noise.  Have you recently done anything on the cars electrical system such as spark plugs or wires? 

Mar 26, 2009 | 2002 Honda Accord

2 Answers

Can I take it out?


Too prevent static discharge while working on a PC or electronic devices, either use an anti static wrist strap available from any computer or elecronics outlet store or make sure one hand is holding the metal PC casing whilst the other is removing the PCI device. You can also purchase an anti static mat to put the PC on while working on it but these can be expensive. The rule of thumb is to make sure the PC is earthed the entire time you are touching the internal workings, you can also safely work with PCI card install & removal procedure if the PC has been disconnected from its power source for more than four hours, PCI cards generally discharge when the PC is turned off, static discharge will only cause problems with the motherboard and processor if not earthed correctly or physically before removal or installation.

May 17, 2007 | VIA Vectro VT6212 (A62124) Serial Adapter

Not finding what you are looking for?
Computers & Internet Logo

Related Topics:

13 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Computers & Internet Experts

Doctor PC
Doctor PC

Level 3 Expert

7733 Answers

kakima

Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

David Payne
David Payne

Level 3 Expert

14161 Answers

Are you a Computer and Internet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...